What language?

• German

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • French

• Spanish

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'd go for Spanish as it's the 2nd most spoken language.

It's not hard to learn at all- easier then french imho

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Spanish is leading the poll. I must confess that I was veering towards German as it's quite a gutteral language like Welsh so I thought it might be easier. I am still conflicted though as French does seem like a good proposition as I'd like to tour there at some point. Spanish would have been useful for me in Central America. Decisions, Decisions!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
The key to it really is - what will the point be in learning the language - also if there are ways to practice with others ie people who are fluent this will help a lot - so if there is a community of people near you who could help you develop the language skills then all the more useful.

Maz

Guru
I'd most definitely go for Spanish. It's so widely-spoken these days. It's logical and phonetic. Ultimately, choose the one you like, it's good to learn any 2nd language, but for wide usage and ease of learning, go for Spanish. It's a great language, in my experience.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
IIRC Spanish is supposed to be one of the easiest languages to learn, relatively speaking. It's also supposed to have one of the largest vocabularies. I don't like the way it sounds though, not enough vowel sounds. It depends what you want to learn for. If it's holiday or travel then Spanish is best probably. To enhance your career prospects then German or French. However, for work, anyone you need to talk to abroad nearly always speaks English pretty well.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I might have to change my vote. German is not too tricky to pick up IME - I can easily cope in most holiday situations and I've never sat down and learned it. Admittedly, the first time I was in a German speaking country (Austria) I was with five other people, and it took years before I knew any number higher than six.
You've got to like a language that can have a word like 'Zillertalerstadthydroelectrichekraftwerkbahn' - The road for the Ziller Valley municipal hydro-electric power station IIRC

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Spanish. Of the choice you've given. It is technically a bit easier then French, a lot easier than German, and pronunciation is really easy once you realise few basics. For a challenge, try Chinese, as FM says. Can you speak Welsh already?
Spanish food is generally better than French too.

Guten Morgen!,
Do all three Plax - I think I might try Spanish primarily, but every language has its jour...To speak Spanish means you'll never visit Madrid and go into bars a loner.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif said:
Guten Morgen!,
Do all three Plax - I think I might try Spanish primarily, but every language has its jour...To speak Spanish means you'll never visit Madrid and go into bars a loner.

:ohmy::biggrin: Top form, Ape!

HobbesChoice

Plax said:
I'm contemplating learning a new language to try and give me something else to do of an evening other than while away the hours on the computer.

The languages that interest me, especially from a commerce/travelling point of view are;

German
French
Spanish

I did German & French at school much of which has long been forgotten. Spanish I have never learnt.

I plan on getting the relevant learning resources from the local library and taking it from there.

I thought I'd do a poll.

Would it be worth you doing REALLY elementary stuff on all 3 to see which one clicked better with you/which language you picked up easier or enjoyed more? I have some spanish and french learning books and CD's I'd be happy to loan you, so PM me with your address if you want them for as long as needed.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
German (but I like Germany and so am biased and I dislike the sound of the other two, Spanish particularly sounding like a language in which one can be cruel to animals) is, like English, a Germanic (funnily enough) language and if you have English and German the Scandanavian languages and most certainly Dutch are opened up to you. For instance, I've never had Dutch lessons but because of my German I can usually bash my way through Dutch newspaper articles.

Andy in Sig said:
Spanish particularly sounding like a language in which one can be cruel to animals) as it is, like English, a Germanic (funnily enough) language

I don't know where you get that information from!

Spanish belongs to the Romance group of languages, which in turn is part of the Indo-European family, of which Germanic is also a member.

But it is wrong to say that Spanish is a Germanic language.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dayvo said:
I don't know where you get that information from!

Spanish belongs to the Romance group of languages, which in turn is part of the Indo-European family, of which Germanic is also a member.

But it is wrong to say that Spanish is a Germanic language.

Take the bracketed bits out of AiS's post... he's talking about yer German... :ohmy:

Top Bottom