What level UCI teams are there ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I have a crazy idea about setting up a team to raise awareness , a little bit like Team Type 1, but I need to know the levels of teams/pro tour etc, has anyone got a link with more info ?

Thanks

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

the Uci teams are 3 level.

Pro Tour (as Saxo Bank, Radioshac, Sky etc...)

Professional (as Type 1, Acqua Sapone etc...)

Continental (as english team Raleigh).

There is various and complicate rules about it, if you like know some information ask me. If I can I back you.

ciao

monnet

Guru
That really is a crazy idea! But I like it.

Think big but start small. Why not look into setting up a smaller team based out of a local bike shop and build up from there. As your team gets results you'll attract better riders. Get some good youth riders coming through and you'll start moving up. Or set up your own club with a racing ethos.

If you're serious there's obviously plenty to think about (money mainly. And sponsorship). Without wanting to put you off most teams are either sponsored by massive companies (Sky) or wealthy cycling enthusiasts (Lampre, Mapei a few years ago, Leopard). Getting a bike manufacturer on board would be pretty key too.

oldroadman

Veteran
That really is a crazy idea! But I like it.

Think big but start small. Why not look into setting up a smaller team based out of a local bike shop and build up from there. As your team gets results you'll attract better riders. Get some good youth riders coming through and you'll start moving up. Or set up your own club with a racing ethos.

If you're serious there's obviously plenty to think about (money mainly. And sponsorship). Without wanting to put you off most teams are either sponsored by massive companies (Sky) or wealthy cycling enthusiasts (Lampre, Mapei a few years ago, Leopard). Getting a bike manufacturer on board would be pretty key too.

Why not find decent club, arrange a sponsor deal with them, possibly attract some riders, and see how it goes from there. Thus you will be able to attract attention to your cause and support the sport. Clubs are still the backbone of the sport - no clubs = no races, and without races all the teams in the world mean nothing!
See how it goes, but once anyone gets into UCI levels, substantial financial guarantees are required by UCI to make sure riders and staff get paid. Top level proteams have about 60 staff and riders, tons of vehicles, and budgets between 9 and 20 million euro per year. At all the UCI levels it's about business as well as sport. A long way from the Anytown CC sponsored by XYX, or indeed the domestic XYZ race team with six riders, manager, mechanic, car and minibus! Got to start somewhere though - best of luck.

monnet

Guru
Why not find decent club, arrange a sponsor deal with them, possibly attract some riders, and see how it goes from there. Thus you will be able to attract attention to your cause and support the sport. Clubs are still the backbone of the sport - no clubs = no races, and without races all the teams in the world mean nothing!
See how it goes, but once anyone gets into UCI levels, substantial financial guarantees are required by UCI to make sure riders and staff get paid. Top level proteams have about 60 staff and riders, tons of vehicles, and budgets between 9 and 20 million euro per year. At all the UCI levels it's about business as well as sport. A long way from the Anytown CC sponsored by XYX, or indeed the domestic XYZ race team with six riders, manager, mechanic, car and minibus! Got to start somewhere though - best of luck.

Very good point. I was going to suggest starting a club and taking it from there but opted to keep the post directly relevant to the question asked. Personally I would be much more a fan of taking the route of forming a club and increasing the grass roots base of the sport.

Gaz, I'd have thought with your story you would be best off taking that as a route - certainly you of all people would be able to provide an inclusive, non elitist, non cliquey club environment.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Thanks all

It's given me food for thought

How about starting small and arranging an " anti fat" charity ride , riders could be obese or formally so or interested in raising Money for obesity charities because they have been touched by this subject

I know how to create a media buzz :-)

Any pointers in getting this off the ground ??

First off, don't limit it to those who are obese, or have been, open it to everyone to get max amount of people in.

Varied length routes will also get the largest amount of people in.

There's a lot of red tape around too regarding public liability etc.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
First off, don't limit it to those who are obese, or have been, open it to everyone to get max amount of people in.

Varied length routes will also get the largest amount of people in.

There's a lot of red tape around too regarding public liability etc.

Sure

Its just idea's right now.

so 3 routes

10K for those REALLY obese who are wanting to START the change

25K for those who have made changes, who are on a "diet" (hate that word) and on it with working out.

50K for those like me, who have lost everything and are now at goal and always looking for ways to push.

Anyone can also join in to raise money for Obesity Charity's

Do Bike Events organise and insure events ?

Edit: I have fired off an email to bike events anyway, who else could I contact ?

oldroadman

Veteran
Sure

Its just idea's right now.

so 3 routes

10K for those REALLY obese who are wanting to START the change

25K for those who have made changes, who are on a "diet" (hate that word) and on it with working out.

50K for those like me, who have lost everything and are now at goal and always looking for ways to push.

Anyone can also join in to raise money for Obesity Charity's

Do Bike Events organise and insure events ?

Edit: I have fired off an email to bike events anyway, who else could I contact ?

oldroadman

Veteran
For insurance, you could register with BC and probably get a decent rate, plus first class insurance. And it will get on the website sportive calendar, which should help with numbers.

Top Bottom