What levers do you need for hydraulic brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Probably a really stupid question - most of mine are! - but am thinking about upgrading the brakes on my cyclocross bike from mechanical disc to hydraulic. Having a look on ebay etc., can find calipers easily enough, but wondered about what levers are compatible. I imagine standard levers aren't suitable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope, you need a matched pair more or less.

Stompier

Unless you went for a hybrid system like the TRP hy-rd, which will probably be compatible with your existing levers.

vickster

Legendary Member
What mechanicals do you have? You could just get better calipers like Spyre or BB7?

Given how fugly hydraulic brifters are, I dont see as an upgrade unless you go for better looking Dura Ace :whistle:

ozboz

Guru
I have a set of SLX levers and PM callipers that are virtually brand new that I changed on my MTB ( that I bought in September) for XT ones let me know if you are interested in them

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a set of SLX levers and PM callipers that are virtually brand new that I changed on my MTB ( that I bought in September) for XT ones let me know if you are interested in them
I assume he has drop bars on a CX? Aren’t those for flat bars if from an MTB?

robgul

Legendary Member
I too would suggest the hybrid cable operated hydraulic caliper option - "pure hydraulic" are the work of Satan in my book! - use existing levers and less to go wrong.

Rob

Top Bottom