What lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I got these on clearance earlier in the year and have to admit to being blown away by how good they are....
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-ktv-drive-pro-front-light/rp-prod122416
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-ktv-drive-rear-light/rp-prod122410

It only cost me £13 for the pair but they are good enough to use for the commute when I fancy a change from my normal hybrid work horse and they are small enough to throw in a pocket as an emergency light in case I find myself out riding later than intended.

Not sure if you will be able to track these down but there must be a current equivalent model?

You should be able to pick up some bargains at this time of year; lighting "moves on", but most of it is a load of shite - I still wish I had the same lights I had 10 years ago - and never had a problem in the 80s either...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I got a free pair in Oudenaarde earlier in the year. tiny they are and they fit on a little plastic box no bigger than a box of tic tacs. I nearly tossed them but have used the half a dozen times, they are excellent back up lights
No manufacturers name but imported by
Special Things BVBA
Canadareef 3
2820 Bornheiden Belgium
tinyicclelights.JPG

Care to say more?
Admit I must disagree with you on the 80s, as we'd be talking bulbs surely?
The lighting in the 80s did fine, although future generations of lighting led to improved vision; I guess the 80s stuff was the best I could afford/was available so we just got on with it.

As for recent developments being "shite", there comes a time when cost of new technology/higher and higher lumens becomes an issue of newness or costing more/brand image. As I said, the lights I had 10 years ago managed to offer me all I needed; they lit the road for a decent distance which allowed me to ride as fast as I wanted in the dark, had exchangeable batteries which could be easily changed during the ride, and had a decent run time which allowed me to ride overnight even in winter with 2 sets of batteries.

I find the Lezyne Micro Drive are a good compromise

715HTneHp9L._SL1200_.jpg

Small and compact enough to carry, but bright enough to fall in between the see and be seen categories. The battery life is also reasonable

I personally like the USB changeability as in an emergency you can recharge from a portable charger. However the debate on integral batteries and USB charging is a personal one.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If you want fit and forget, the answer is dynohub lighting.

About the only thing you have to remember is to plug the wires back in after you've had the front wheel out, and the wires tinkling on the spokes will remind you about that if you forget. These days you don't even have to make a decision about whether it's got dark enough; the light will decide for itself.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I get on well with the Knog lights, you can recharge them in your computer at work if you finish late. Only problem is the elastic straps eventually wear out, not a problem if you aren't using them daily but a rubber band suffices otherwise.

Top Bottom