What makes a bus smell like a bus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As I walked past a bus stop today, one pulled up and opened it's doors. I was instantly assailed by odour d'bus. It's unmistakable. If I'd had my eyes and ears shut I'd still have known a bus had just opened it's doors.

So why does a bus smell like a bus?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Because it's full of smelly commuters sitting in a bus that was probrably used as a night bus so previously full of drunkards eating chips and kebabs whilst puking and pissing over the seats.

Bigtwin

Diesel, sweat, piss, dead skin, snot, semen, farts, stinking feet, blood and spit would be the main elements I would think.

Remember that programme where they swabbed the seats and poles on the tube to see what was on them? Lovely.

Bigtwin

Rigid Raider said:
It's why you should wash your hands the minute you get home or into your office.

My home's much worse than that, and the office is in the living room.

I can still remember, fondly, the long-defunct British trolleybus. It smelt quite different from a diesel bus: there was a definite suggestion of ozone or something like it on the upper deck: whether from sparking from the overhead wires I don't know. Maybe it was the grease applied to the trolley wheels on the ends of the pick-up poles. Anyway: much preferred to the smell of diesel, I used to climb to the top deck from choice, smokers notwithstanding.

snorri

Legendary Member
Not all bus interiors smell the same, it depends on the area.:ohmy:

Top Bottom