What makes somebody dislike people from other countries.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
This line by another person in another topic has been on my mind today,

"Nice to see a yank lose at the last moment^_^"

Why would anyone have so much dislike for a person they do not know? A fellow cyclist giving their very best at the highest level of sport, she may well be the sweetest nicest person going, yet her birthplace leads some to dislike her,odd.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Tribal mentality still hanging around in the subconscious maybe.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This line by another person in another topic has been on my mind today,

"Nice to see a yank lose at the last moment^_^"

Why would anyone have so much dislike for a person they do not know? A fellow cyclist giving their very best at the highest level of sport, she may well be the sweetest nicest person going, yet her birthplace leads some to dislike her,odd.
What makes you think the poster dislikes her? I quite like it when any member of a generally privileged group - especially a group which tends to assume that because it is privileged its members deserve to come out on top - is reminded that privilege doesn't make you a better person.

winjim

Smash the cistern
In evolutionary terms, tribalism exists as a consequence of competition for land, resources, mates etc. In sporting terms, a bit of banter can be fun - the Aussies will always want to beat the English, the Scots will always want to beat the English, the Welsh will always want to beat... the English. Of course a lot of that comes from politics and the English position of empire and domination.

When it spills over into actual racism and xenophobia, then it's not fun any more. :sad:

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
What makes you think the poster dislikes her? I quite like it when any member of a generally privileged group - especially a group which tends to assume that because it is privileged its members deserve to come out on top - is reminded that privilege doesn't make you a better person.

This was about an individual riding a bike, what makes you think she is priveleged?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This was about an individual riding a bike, what makes you think she is priveleged?
any member of a generally privileged group - especially a group which tends to assume that because it is privileged its members deserve to come out on top

...which perfectly describes US citizens.

I'm glad to see that you've accepted that the poster might not dislike the woman personally.

Top Bottom