What makes somebody dislike people from other countries.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Are schoolchildren in England taught about the days of Welsh, Scottish and Irish subjugation? (I went to secondary school in Wales so it's a genuine question.)

By "subjugation of the Welsh" do you mean the murder of Llewelyn ap Grufudd in 1282 - done by former Viking lords who'd been living in France until they'd subjugated England a century or two before.

"subjugation of Scotland" - so that would be after Scottish kings had ruled England for a century or more.

I'll grant you the Irish point..

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I agree. I've been lucky enough to travel a fair bit & live in a few different countries & I've similarly found that your average man is your average man. .
Controversially, I disagree.

I'm a first world person. I've travelled all over the world and I've met loads of other people along the way. Most of them were first world people too even if they were a completely different colour to me and had lived their entire lives in third world countries. I thought them much the same as me, and, so far as I could tell, they felt the same. The genuinely third world people I met though, they were very, very, different to me.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Controversially, I disagree.

I'm a first world person. I've travelled all over the world and I've met loads of other people along the way. Most of them were first world people too even if they were a completely different colour to me and had lived their entire lives in third world countries. I thought them much the same as me, and, so far as I could tell, they felt the same. The genuinely third world people I met though, they were very, very, different to me.

What, like two heads or something?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I agree. I've been lucky enough to travel a fair bit & live in a few different countries & I've similarly found that your average man is your average man.

States are different though, and in an international sporting contest it's often the State we see sprinting down the home straight, or falling flat on its face. Hate is too strong a word but deriving pleasure from the latter can be cathartic.
Whatever gets you through the day.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Speaking of neighborhood schools, I had to return to my old neighborhood because I had to prove I was born in the States to get my drivers' license, hence I had to travel forty miles, get a birth certificate, and return. My old neighborhood school had been razed to make a parish hall for the Methodist Church. Also, My old home, my neighborhood, and the whole town seems smaller. The seagulls were glad to see me. I brought them bread.

Top Bottom