What makes somebody dislike people from other countries.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goggs

Guru
It entirely depends on whether the subject defines themselves by their nationality. If they do then it would be fair to say that someone celebrating an English loss (for example) does dislike that person. However, most people don't define themselves purely by their nationality (which is, after all, merely an accident of birth) and so the dislike is of the flag, not the individual.

Or something like that.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It entirely depends on whether the subject defines themselves by their nationality. If they do then it would be fair to say that someone celebrating an English loss (for example) does dislike that person. However, most people don't define themselves purely by their nationality (which is, after all, merely an accident of birth) and so the dislike is of the flag, not the individual.

Or something like that.
If I am stood in a pub*, in England Rugby shirt, loudly proclaiming my love and support for the best country on Earth, and we lose to the Welsh, again, then, frankly, every Celt in the pub, including the Scots and the Irish, is entitled to wade in, rip the pish and dislike me as much as they like.

If I am walking down the street, minding my own business and a complete stranger of a Celt comes up to me and says "Are you English?" and on finding that I am, launches into a tirade of abuse about how he hates all the English, and specifically, at that moment, me? Different matter entirely.

Both are real-life situations I've encountered on more than one occasion.

*or whatever the current ontrend social media version of standing in a pub is.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So. When a Russian wins a medal at the Olympics should I not furrow my brow and think "Hmmmmmmmmmm, not sure they aren't crooked."?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Are schoolchildren in England taught about the days of Welsh, Scottish and Irish subjugation? (I went to secondary school in Wales so it's a genuine question.)
English history, if taught, is taught from the perspective of the winners, the modern English ruling class. We can't even number our crowned heads appropriately, having done a reset at the Norman conquest.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Are schoolchildren in England taught about the days of Welsh, Scottish and Irish subjugation? (I went to secondary school in Wales so it's a genuine question.)
Genuine answer, in my secondary state schooling of the 1980's in Greater Manchester, definitely not @coffeejo .

Of course I can't vouch for the education of others in different regions or era's but it wasn't even touched upon in my schooling.
My knowledge of such issues were drawn via self education & life learning.

My rather flippant post above, is designed very much tongue in cheek to illicit reaction & hopefully a giggle or two.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
This is what the American, Mara Abbott said about van Vleuten ...

upload_2016-8-10_10-44-42.png

Goggs

Guru
I did all my schooling in Scotland and got zero Scottish history. Not a word. Everything was to do with the British Empire.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In the States, we had a lot of English, Irish, and Scottish history, as well as Welsh and Cornish. European history as well. Very well rounded course of education, in my mind. But I got a good education in a neighborhood school, so close to home I could hear our dogs barking when the garbage wagon came up the alley. Probably a different view of the Battle of Yorktown.

Goggs

Guru
The more I've travelled in life (well over 20 African countries and many others worldwide including living in France and Spain for 3 years) the more I realise that people are the same everywhere and that the only reason why they hate other people is..... plain and simple.... IGNORANCE.

I agree. I've been lucky enough to travel a fair bit & live in a few different countries & I've similarly found that your average man is your average man.

States are different though, and in an international sporting contest it's often the State we see sprinting down the home straight, or falling flat on its face. Hate is too strong a word but deriving pleasure from the latter can be cathartic.

Top Bottom