What man/woman jobs have you been doing lately

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I climbed up a ladder and temporarily unscrewed our nest box from a tree. Inside are the pathetic remains of six or seven blue tit chicks that died last Spring. Anyway, the old nest was removed and the whole box thoroughly drenched with boiling water to kill avian parasites. When it's dried out, I'll hop back up there and reinstall it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It it was solid wood I was going to say sand it back and then varnish over the top but as it has veneer ontop you can get some special stuff called floorcare dressing which will achieve a similar finish but not damage the veneer.
Amtico seems to be popular one coming up on Google ?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I uninstalled the Trailgator brackets from daughter's and grandson's bikes, yesterday, as he no longer needs them.
Daughter can now sell his 'little' bike and the Trailgator.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just to add it’s not solid wood but has about a 5mm veneer on it . So pricing up hire charges for a sander and stuff . £300 for a week !

Well quite happy so far with the results, started in the living room. We decided use danish oil rather than varnish or any other floor dressing. Looks good ! Onto the downstairs hall and then the dining room. Its hard work that's for sure !

Drago

Legendary Member
Finished decorating. That's the entire house done top to bottom since July.

Chez Drago is oddly proportioned. It started out as a 2 bedroom bungalow in 1969, but has been extended, and then partially rearranged internally. As a result part of what was once the original living room is now the dining room. Sadly, it's not very big, and also being on the through route to access the rear of the house it's also an awkward place for a table.

So I built a breakfast bar. There's 2 adults and mini D, so while visually it's not the ideal solution it is an effective practical solution to having somewhere to eat.

The image doesn't show it but there's a small TV above the shelf, so Mrs D can watch Piers Organ while munching her breakfast. That's wired into the ring main in the loft.

The breakfast bar itself uses the same work top as the kitchen, so it all matches.

Next job is to fit all these smart light switches I bought in a whim.

gbb

Legendary Member
Re skimmed the wall after some serious partner pressure !
View attachment 569577
Did you DIY, have you ever done it before, was it very difficult ?
Many of my walls are plasterboard and over 50 years of being papered, scraped, painted, they're not in brilliant condition and no amount of fine filler makes them look any better.
Something I'd consider but have never touched plaster in my life.

Adam4868

Guru
Did you DIY, have you ever done it before, was it very difficult ?
Many of my walls are plasterboard and over 50 years of being papered, scraped, painted, they're not in brilliant condition and no amount of fine filler makes them look any better.
Something I'd consider but have never touched plaster in my life.
I've worked plastering in the past,still do now sometimes.Ill be honest a lot of the work I'd sometimes do is re skimming someone's attempt 😁
If I had a few hours to show you,I'm sure you could do it...but word of warning it's not as easy as it looks.Im sure there's plenty of YouTube vids out there.But as the saying goes practice makes perfect.
Any questions though and my advice is free.

Reactions: gbb

newts

Veteran
The household CEO decided that we required a ceiling upgrade as part of the kitchen refurb.
Patched a water damaged section & 2 skim coats over the Artex after a primer of SBR.
20210122_092914.jpg
20210122_164341 (2).jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been thinking about clearing the semi-blocked trap on the bathroom basin. I may start on a Risk Assessment policy sometime in the next week. It's going to get messy if I can't buy a bottle of OneShot acid any more without a £39.50 EPP licence from HMG.

keithmac

Guru
I'd take it all to bits take it outside and pressure wash it. My wife had been using drain cleaner in our kitchen sink regularly (sp?) but if you saw what was in the waste pipe it hadn't made a dent!.

keithmac

Guru
I've been a House Husband for past 3 weeks and it's been "interesting".

Need to brush up on my cooking skills but nobody has had food poisoning which was my benchmark for success!.

Bought some ladders to sort the guttering but I'm no good with heights so we'll see how that turns out..

Duc gas

Über Member
Been noticing a drop off in hot water flow or pressure in the kitchen, it's getting quite slow now, time for some investigation last night.
50 year old 'open vented ?' system with a hot water tank. It's been on my mind what condition the tank is in, scale deposits etc.
Tap insert removed, nothing to see there.
Aerator removed, ditto.
No check or service valves valves to get clogged up.
Other taps checked, old style simple taps seem fine, bath and sink mixers...not bad but maybe should have a bit better flow, not sure.
Air lock ? Tried the old block the tap spout, turn on the cold and hot for 10 seconds, allowing the cold water to divert up the hot pipework, in doing so, it's supposed to purge any air out.
A little better but soon dropped off again after a few seconds.
Tried for longer , 30 seconds, seemed the same outcome. Enough, time for bed.
This morning...while it's not brilliant, it definately is better,

The system is 50 years old, the boilers 25 years old. This next spring / summer, I think it's time to give it all a spruce up and spend a little money on it.
If you haven’t got any improvement try disconnecting the hot water outlet connection on the top of the hot water cylinder, I used to find lots partially blocked with a hard substance, and we don’t have hard water issues to cause this issue around here. Turn off the cold feed valve to the cylinder first if it’s not jammed and run a hot tap until it stops 👍

Top Bottom