What model Colnago frame is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guardmud

So about two years ago my dad gave me his bike. He couldn't ride it like he used to, due to a condition to his legs.
Next to the sentimental value of this bike, I am really enjoying riding it. Using it every day (should clean it again soon
biggrin.gif
).
Made some minor changes over the course of a year:
Attached mudguards and front and rear lights, since I use it daily to go to work (city). Replaced the clip-in pedals with sturdy aluminium ones, really glad with those when I go on a bigger recreational ride.
Apart from that, the bike has always been like this. The store in which my dad bought the bike assembled it as is. For example the extra brake handles were there when bought as a new bike.
I'm not completely sure how old my bicycle is, but a guess would be it's from 2005-ish.

I am really curious what kind of frame this is (model) and mutiple hours of research on the internet didn't answer much.
This is the reason i made this post.

Hopefully I didn't bore you with this story & I'm looking forward to some insight.
Thank you and have a good day.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello guardmud and :welcome:to CC

Nice bike, great you're getting some fun and milage out of it. This model looks like one produced around the 2000s before they went over to mainly carbon frames. Yours is aluminium which I'm sure you've already sussed. Could be a VIP or Dream. Not a racy bike as we have come to expect from Colnago, witness the canti brakes, cross levers, longish wheelbase and slack frame angles. I even thought initially it wasn't a Colnago, but perfect for leisure and commuting. A shot from the drive side would be useful to date it better. Looks like an attempt to reach a wider market.
Enjoy it. If there's anything else you want to know just ask.
Just noticed it’s got gravel bike tyres on it, Colnago purists would recoil in horror! Could of course be a gravel model but I wasn’t aware they produced on prior to the G3X in 2019.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

guardmud

Thank you for the response and the hearty welcome.
Yes, in my experience this bike does the job of cummuting perfectly for me. The slack angles, bigger tires and cross levers makes it great in the city with alot of traffic. Nice amount of traction and going down small pavement bumps (when done carefully) are no problem.

Especially the VIP model shows alot of similarity. Although on my bike the brake and shifting wires run on top of the tube. This seems to be unusual; haven't seen any VIP or dream frames that have this aswell. Is there any particular reason they chose to do so?

I've made a picture from the drive side.

Kind regards from the Netherlands.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The routing of the cables is MTB inspired, similarly the top pull FD. So maybe a cyclocross as suggested? No reference anywhere to it on the net might indicate it was an ‘experimental’ model? Whatever it is it seems to suit you well so enjoy it and revel in the fact it’s quite unique.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
That is a lovely bike. I am not sure I have ever seen a Colnago I don't like.

Looks like a very practical bike too.

Top Bottom