What month does it start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
For me the Scottish midges are a big factor. Their numbers peak at the end of June and the end of August apparently so I'll be timing my JOGLE around that.

Ajax Bay

Guru
which month do the Lejoggers usually start?
Steve - my first reaction was that your question was pretty useless - even if the data was available, so what?
In an effort to be more positive (and I'm supporting two small groups starting 6 and 12 May for their Cornwall and Devon sections) perhaps we could discuss what the factors for choosing dates are.
A period one can get off work
In or out of school holidays (affects many things, not least accommodation availability)
Need for longer daylight - does not apply for a proportion
Warmth
Midges (as @contadino has pointed out) - was dead glad at the autumn equinox I was not camping for the final days/nights north of Oban.
Prevailing wind - and here I offer:
Seasonal variation of the prevailing wind direction in Britain
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.301/pdf
"Monthly mean wind directions for both the southwesterly quadrant and the northeasterly quadrant for the combined 1969–1987 and 1997–2007 periods [were recorded and graphed]; It can be seen from this [graph - see article] that while a southwesterly wind prevails for winter, summer and autumn, this is not necessarily true in spring. For the months of April and May in particular, the frequency of northeasterly winds increases while that of southwesterly winds decreases so that the frequency of northeasterlies is about equal to that of southwesterlies. In fact, during some decades, the prevailing wind at many sites during these months is northeasterly."

So a JOGLE is most likely to get a fairer wind in April or May. But the sun will be lower and in your eyes more often, and in the eyes of the drivers on the road behind you.

Big T

Guru
They usually start around Easter time - late March/early April and carry on to the end of September. Lack of daylight makes a winter Lejog unlikely.

Ajax Bay

Guru
But which month do the Lejoggers usually start?
They usually start around Easter time . . . and carry on to the end of September
Doesn't really answer/address the question (or it's just wrong: LEJOGgers do not usually start at Easter; and very few take 6 months on the trip).
It's not lack of daylight which deters the 'late autumn / winter / early spring' end-to-end, it's the high likelihood of adverse weather conditions.

DanZac

Judging from the signs on the Drumnochter (spelling?) Pass when I went over this week advising of atrocious weather shifts and risk of drifting snow etc from Oct to May I'd say that limits the sensible window of opportunity for anyone attempting the A9 route. Coupled with Midges in May and Aug it just seems to leave June, July and Sept to anyone with any sense (of which I am obviously not one).

Top Bottom