What mtb is best

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

second hand giant xtc off ebay.

The decathlon rockrider and carrera kraken (or vulcan - can't remember, the cheapest anyway) got the best reviews in the Bike Supermarket challenge thing in WMB if you want a new one... The GT Aggressor always seems to do well...

Bollecks Dave5N. A sub 200 quid bike doesn't qualify as a mountainbike. It might look like one, it might have the same sized wheels but it aint a real one.

It might take the OP a couple or more months to make up the difference but it will be worth it.

Please don't advise people on subjects you don't understand.

bonj2

Yes it does. You can get some mountain bikes for £200 which are fine, and will in all probability do all the OP wants it to do just as well as one that is a lot more expensive, but will carry the added benefit of being less of a theft target and therefore he'll be less worried about taking it out where he's going to need to leave it - and so unless he's a real enthusiast, that will result in him using it a lot more and therefore getting much more out of cycling, and will subsequently result in him being more likely to BECOME an enthusiast. Idiot. I thought you were tasked with encouraging people to get into cycling? Not putting them off by making them feel they're out of their depth or that they should be getting something way out of their league!

Dave5N

Über Member
mickle said:
Bollecks Dave5N. A sub 200 quid bike doesn't qualify as a mountainbike. It might look like one, it might have the same sized wheels but it aint a real one.

It might take the OP a couple or more months to make up the difference but it will be worth it.

So your (unqualified, perhaps?) advice is: don't ride a bike until you can afford one I approve of?

Dave5N

Über Member
mickle said:

How would you know what I understand about cycling?

Dave5N said:
So your (unqualified, perhaps?) advise is: don't ride a bike until you can afford one I approve of?

I think you'll find much the same advice wherever you find experienced mountainbikers. Buy the best bike you can afford. If that means you have to wait a few weeks then wait. I've met enough people who bought sh!t cheap bikes who later regretted spending too little to know that I'm talking the truth.

Bums on seats Dave, bums on seats. I want people to ride bikes but a 200 quid bike isn't a real mountainbike. A city bike for 200 quid? just about possible. A mountainbike? Sorry, no.

barq

I think the crucial question is where will the bike be used? Are we talking trails and singletrack or bridleways and towpaths?

My advice would be to look towards the entry level bikes offered my the major MTB manufacturers. Trek and Specialized offer their cheapest models for around 200 quid (have a look at Evans to get a sense of the price range). If you can stretch to spending more you will get a better bike (sorry, statement of the bleedin' obvious :rolleyes:, but worth thinking about).

Top Bottom