What multi tool, lock, and pump please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Burke

Regular
Hello.

Just getting more and more into my cycling and I am looking to buy the following 3 items but I have no idea which ones to short list?

I currently really need...

Multi tool (seen one in wilko's with a chain tool for 7 quid)?

Lock, no idea what to get, would probably need to be transportable yet secure enough

Pump... for when I go on longish journeys and if I got a puncture that needed roadside attention.

Thank you.

Dave 123

Legendary Member

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I would have thought a multi tool with chain tool for £7 its most probably made of cheese.

I carry one of these and use the chain tool all the time so I know its up to the job, its £21 but its all I have ever needed when out on the road
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/crank-brothers/multi-17-tool-ec007558

Regards a pump I am a co2 convert and use these, quick and easy to get to 100psi in seconds, I find a 16g canister will do two inflations.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/air-tool-cpro2-microblast-ec034744

These are not the cheapest out there but have had them both for three years now and still as good as when they were new.

I don't tend to use a lock so no idea on that one

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Locks: http://www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109/ and I favour taking a decent D lock and an alarmed cable lock - one for security, the other to annoy and allow me to cope when out in the countryside and the only thing to lock to is a tree.

Pump: I carry a mini floor pump with a gauge. I avoid pumps that connect directly with no hose because I've broken valves with them. I dislike the waste of co2 canisters.

Multitool: I carry a Ritchey CPR-9, a small Park chain tool and some extra tools if the bike uses them (6" wrench or whatever). I think most flickknife-style multitools are a lot of weight for what you get and I always feel like I'm bending them when I tighten a hex bolt. I saw a pretty neat micro toolkit (big hex key and sockets giving smaller hex bits, screwdriver and nut sockets) in TKMaxx today for under £10 but I think it had no chain tool.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Multi tool: Topeak: Alien, hexus etc. All good IMO

Pump: Topeak pocket rocket, fits schraeder and presta valves and will put 100+psi in a tyre at the roadside without sweat. Lezyne also do good mini pumps.

Lock: Actually locks would be better. The best you can afford generally, they suggest 10% of bike price as a rule of thumb but avoid cheapo cable locks, try to avoid cable locks full stop as a primary lock/deterrent. A good U lock with little room under the U for a jack or lever to get in, to secure frame and rear wheel, another one or a cable extension to secure the front wheel. Kryptonite, Magnum....

vickster

Legendary Member
Lock - depends a bit on the value of the bike and the Ts & Cs on your insurance policy

If not leaving a bike all day, I use one of these, the D lock through the rear triangle and wheel and around the stand, cable front wheel http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-evolution-mini-7-lock-and-4-foot-kryptoflex-cable/

Pump, Lezyne road drive (about £30, but with separate hose and easy to use) + inner tubes (5 for a tenner from Halfords) + self adhesive patches if you plan to repair at the roadside (Lezyne get good reviews)

Multi-tool, cheapie (in fact freebie). No chain tool, but I wouldn't know what to do with one anyhow! I expect something at £7 from Wilkos will be made of cheese

I would have thought a multi tool with chain tool for £7 its most probably made of cheese.
I expect something at £7 from Wilkos will be made of cheese
Hmm, cheese.:hungry:

(having a cholesterol test tomorrow, so none for me!)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As a general point, it's best not to lock a bike in any city centre for an extended period of time.

Particularly the same place each day, and particularly if the bike is shiny, new and expensive.

OP
OP
Paul Burke

Paul Burke

Regular
Thank you, I will look into the suggestions later, I do appreciate that.

The lock would be for my 2nd hand MTB for days when I just pop to the post office or similar... usually for 10 mins or so?

Tools are a bike specific thing.......

Go round your bike and list all the things you want to adjust

Then look at a multitool that has those items

Thank you, I will look into the suggestions later, I do appreciate that.

The lock would be for my 2nd hand MTB for days when I just pop to the post office or similar... usually for 10 mins or so?
I'd go for a hiplok. I've got a really tough (and really heavy) d-lock, but when I pop out to the shops - especially on my older bike - I take the hiplok. It's still quite tough, and easy to carry ,cause it goes round your waist. And it locks to things too wide for the d-lock.

Top Bottom