What needs changing on bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You're wasting your time mate. Most on here are luddites who won't change to a Hollowtech chain set and would still rather have the old square taper :laugh:

That is true, they are wed to the 1890 bike design.

ExBrit

Über Member
I wasn't so much thinking braking but a really efficient dynamo that will recharge the battery, but seeing as my battery takes 6-7 hours to charge from flat on 240v I'm guessing we're a ways off that yet!

I was thinking the same thing. But my dynamo outputs 3W and my battery has a 540Wh capacity so it would take 180 hours to charge off the dynamo. An 18W solar panel would need 30 hours of bright sunshine. What about a Tesla super-charger port? At 250kW that would give a full charge in 8 seconds!

simongt

Guru
According to the late Mike Burrows, the only 'new' invention for bikes was the clipless pedal in it's various forms.
Everything else, he reckoned had already been done, but lacked either the suitable materials and / or the techno knowhow to make it work properly.
Was he right - ? :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Fairings on road bikes.

Indicators.

Heated saddles.
e16fa1952c7e586eb42d7efc2f439553.jpg

or
cervelowraamfairing2.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
According to the late Mike Burrows, the only 'new' invention for bikes was the clipless pedal in it's various forms.
Everything else, he reckoned had already been done, but lacked either the suitable materials and / or the techno knowhow to make it work properly.
Was he right - ? :whistle:
I don't know, maybe he passed before Shimano brought out electronic shifting, one of the biggest cons perpetrated on the cycling community.

simongt

Guru
However, Burrows was a fanatic about chains being the only thing to use on the drivetrain. 'Shafts belong on a milling machine' he would oft quote. :whistle:
My view is that both shafts & belts have their place depending on the type of bike if you're not that fussed about maximum efficiency.

Drago

Legendary Member
Vibrating massage saddles.

On the fly variable geometry handlebars.

Velcro clipless, carpet slipper compatible.

Water bottles integrated inside the frame.

Caterpillar tracks on MTBs.

Twin disc front brakes.

Front wheel drive.

The return of cranks and linkages instead of chains.

biketrailerguy

Indicators.

Made a set for mrsbtg's bike about 4 decades ago.
Magnetic locking in both parked and operational modes
Current sensing to detect blown bulbs (pre leds)
Audible feedback of system function (different pulsed tones for L/R)

Top Bottom