What needs changing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

So I'm doing LEJOG soon and am pretty comfortable on my bike for long stretches, so fit isn't as much of an issue at the moment.

My question is what should I replace on the bike before the ride?

I'm planning on changing the tyres to continental GP4000S II or Schwalbe One before the ride, new brake pads, probably new hood covers and bar tape as they're worn and potentially buying new shoes next week, as I get side foot pain over about 40 miles.

Bike has covered 1400 miles according to Strava, but I probably do another 1 mile per day cycling to work and back, so call that 1800 miles over the course of ownership.

So what else needs doing? Cables worth doing? Chain? Bottom Bracket? I have a SRAM GXP, which is notorious for being a bit crap. Service the bike?

Thanks for any help...

...Oh and we're doing it over 9 days, so averaging ~90 miles a day.

goody

Veteran
Get it serviced make sure it's all in good condition before you go. A spoke went on my trip (cheap wheels + luggage) but I did have spares.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Before PBP last year I had the cables and chain changed, along with new Schwalbe GP4000S tyres and brake pads. The bottom bracket was also done about a month before PBP.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Chain and cables - yes. Tyres definitely (and for end-to-end I'd prefer 4 Seasons to 4000S but maybe the S IIs are better). If your BB's giving no sign of complaint I'd let it be. Otherwise you might replace it only to find the replacement hasn't bedded in and you're then up against your start date.
we're doing it over 9 days, so averaging ~90 miles a day.
Will need to average 95+ to make it in 9. Share your route and start date, please?
Mine: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/8592623

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Chain if it's anywhere near the wear limit. Similarly pads. Cables if they're sloppy. Not sure I'd bother with much else unless it feels like it needs it, as I find there's a slight chance of niggles in the first few rides after bits are replaced.

Have you done two medium/long days back to back? That can highlight any niggles with bike setup. Similarly, doing a few miles with full touring load.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A mate of mine services both wheel bearings before his annual tour, although I suspect his bike will have done a bit more than 1,400 miles since he last did it.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

The few things I'm noticing so far are:

- Creaking from the front wheel (Campagnolo scirroco's) loose/tight QR?
- BB clicks every now and again.
- Gears are slick, however there's a miss every now and again, might be worth indexing.
- Brakes feel spongy, have new pads but am able to pull very hard without resistance increasing, which makes me believe the cables are not what they were.

Ajax Bay - First day is 109 and last is 120. The rest are a mix of 90+ miles. Apologies I don't have a route card at the moment.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Wheels have done about 500 miles.

stuartmac

Chain, brakes and lubrication definitely and probably just a service - [mjray] focuses on the more important bits, have you done two back to back days with the weight on the bike you will have on your trip? You'll soon sus out what needs done if you do that. If your bikes only done 1800 miles the chain and pads are the only likely replacement parts needed, tamper too much with it and you'll feel like your on a new bike.

What did I learn when I did JOGLE? If you prepare really well you will enjoy it more as you'll have less to think about. Are you cycling with anyone and do you cycle well together, have you practiced long days with them? Are you carrying your kit, you probably only need 2/3 of what you have packed? Do you have a fuelling plan? Do you know how much you need to eat and what you can stomach, you'll need 6000-7000 kcal per day, on day 8 and 9 that's hard if you don't know what will sit well in your stomach on day 8.

I'm doing channel to med in August and the things I will definitely do this time round are padded bar tape, really hurt my hands on JOGLE (I did 10 days), take a tennis ball to iron out the pains in my back and neck (worth its weight in gold) invest in a new pair of shorts to get the most from the padding, I'll make sure I have strobes front and back and batteries to make sure they are always on and finally ALWAYS wear bright visible clothing (my cycling buddy was hit by a car just outside Taunton and ended up in hospital, couldn't complete the trip) he was more gutted about having to stop than his 5 broken ribs, lucky man!

I think if your bike is at 1800 miles the rest of the organisation is probably more important to focus on.

Did a website on it, have the gpx files, if you need them let me know, above all enjoy it as about 6 weeks after it you'll be pining to do it again ... Very addictive

http://stuartmacdonald187.wix.com/jogle-2014#!home/mainPage

Ajax Bay

Guru
Do you know how much you need to eat and what you can stomach, you'll need 6000-7000 kcal per day,
Apologies off topic, but I'd agree with @stuartmac fuelling is well worth preparing to get right. Hearty breakfast, eat through the day with real (cold) food at half distance (say), and plan to eat two full evening main courses, and take some High5 Zero tablets to go in the pint of water that sits alongside the pint of beer. Also decide what 'sports drink' powder you're going to use and try it out on your preparation rides. I used High5 4:1 stuff and bagged it up in 50g little bags (ie ready to go into 600ml).

Top Bottom