What needs changing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@mjray you should read this - @stuartmac 's blog of his Day 8 (Stu - I had read your blog through last year - excellent reading and a valuable resource).
Why? It's the sort of nobber motorist I'm all too familiar with from the years I spent living and riding in that area. "I know deep down that he was just not paying attention" - it doesn't matter what you wear if the nobbers ain't looking or don't care!

I also disagree with another aspect of that blog post, but if I reply to that, it'll definitely condemn us to being moved to another thread. ;)

Wear what you find comfortable for doing those distances. Please don't feel pressurised into the Emperor's New Clothes in a forlorn hope of changing other people's behaviour towards you and please don't use obnoxious, illegal strobe lights.

stuartmac

Why? It's the sort of nobber motorist I'm all too familiar with from the years I spent living and riding in that area. "I know deep down that he was just not paying attention" - it doesn't matter what you wear if the nobbers ain't looking or don't care!

I also disagree with another aspect of that blog post, but if I reply to that, it'll definitely condemn us to being moved to another thread. ;)

Wear what you find comfortable for doing those distances. Please don't feel pressurised into the Emperor's New Clothes in a forlorn hope of changing other people's behaviour towards you and please don't use obnoxious, illegal strobe lights.

Bit like religion, each to their own but keep your beliefs to yourself, I'm happy to do that in future if you are (apologies). You're right we will never change the knob motorists behaviours, but for me as a cyclist (and a motorcyclist) going in and out of tree shadows in bright sunlight, people ain't gonna see you unless you help them see you (fact) but you're right that's my opinion for use by myself. Hopefully my kids will do the same and if the worst happens at least I can live with myself I thought I taught them the right thing. Off to buy another couple of strobes

Ajax Bay

Guru
for me as a cyclist (and a motorcyclist) going in and out of tree shadows in bright sunlight, people ain't gonna see you unless you help them see you (fact) but you're right that's my opinion for use by myself.
Absolutely agree Stuart, but danger of going OT. Most people doing end-to-end, and that includes to OP doing LEJOG (NB title of thread), will have to ride a fair few A roads (perhaps far more than they're used to), and bright as opposed to 'ninja black' clothing and a decent rear flasher when conditions are dull (or all the time: personal choice) just increase the chances of being seen early, imo. My opinion is based on my experience as a driver, mainly (ie the person you want to see the cyclist early) - it's an attention getter. The counter argument is that successive studies have failed to provide evidence for this.

mjr

...and bright as opposed to 'ninja black' clothing and a decent rear flasher when conditions are dull (or all the time: personal choice) just increase the chances of being seen early, imo. My opinion is based on my experience as a driver, mainly (ie the person you want to see the cyclist early) - it's an attention getter. The counter argument is that successive studies have failed to provide evidence for this.
Being seen too early is almost as bad as too late IMO which is why studies show no benefit. As for strobes, you won't have a motorist's full attention if you cause a passenger to have a seizure.

Believe who you like. I rode the A roads there for years unscathed, looking similar to riders of the last 100 years and not a dayglo lamppost. The worst I had was a shunt from another cyclist, a near miss from a white van on a roundabout and a few roadragers.

Definitely cables. I realised a couple of days before heading off on LEL that I had replaced all the cables except the rear derailleur. Yup, it failed, in the loneliest and lumpiest part of the ride. Luckily I managed to get it to hold a cog until I could get to the next control (where it was replaced by a volunteer who had only worked with downtube shifters before! He did great.)

Ajax Bay

Guru
As for strobes, you won't have a motorist's full attention if you cause a passenger to have a seizure.
Three points (OT):
1) Cycling lights are flashing not strobes and certainly not near 7Hz.
2) If the driver or indeed his/her passenger had a seizure (not caused by a red cycle light ahead of them) I hope that the driver would not attempt to pass me - his/her attention would properly be directed elsewhere eg stopping, or losing control of their vehicle to one side of the road or the other but not accelerating up my a**e.
3) I am not advocating 'day-glow lampost' clothing: my considered phrase was "bright as opposed to 'ninja black' clothing".

One point (on topic) supporting @jefmcg : Cables for me too: I have a 400, 600 and 1000 coming up and, having taken the advice of poster on here, have procured and will shortly fit: Jagwire-Racer-Brake-Gear-Kit

mjr

Three points (OT):
1) Cycling lights are flashing not strobes and certainly not near 7Hz.
Flashing legal lights OK, but stuartmac said strobes and I took that as written. There certainly are strobes in use by cyclists, they are painful to look at and are illegal.

3) I am not advocating 'day-glow lampost' clothing: my considered phrase was "bright as opposed to 'ninja black' clothing".
Nah, wear black with white or blue detailing and they'll think you're police :thumbsup:

One point (on topic) supporting @jefmcg : Cables for me too: I have a 400, 600 and 1000 coming up and, having taken the advice of poster on here, have procured and will shortly fit: Jagwire-Racer-Brake-Gear-Kit
Really? I'd carry a couple of spares but as long as they look and feel OK, just before a long ride doesn't seem like the best time. :unsure:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'd carry a couple of spares but as long as they look and feel OK, just before a long ride doesn't seem like the best time.
Exactly (ie carried one of each cable) what I did for end-to-end but the ones I've got on are getting a bit 'sticky' despite my best efforts. I think the outers may be the originals ('99 bike, pre-owned, but with several thousand on it since July).

Top Bottom