What odds and sods should I take when cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I didn't know that he lived in Transylvania.

I thought he said Islington?

nappadang

Über Member
IMHO experience, 1 spare tube invites the p+*+*+*er fairies x2.
I always carry 2 and a couple of self adhesive patches. That and a load of fizzy Haribo

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
In a saddle pack;

zipties, multitool, tyre levers, spare tube, puncture kit (usually a Rema Tip Top). If I'm on the commuter, add a dogbone spanner to that.

In my pockets;
Windproof gilet, armwarmers, waterproof if the forecast is bad, halfway point food (usually some sort of flapjack, or some malt loaf)

In a Topeak Tribag;
Keys, spare set of contact lenses, phone, riding food (usually some sort of small jellies to eat as I go along - I particularly like Percy Pigs)

On the Bike;
Pump (on the commuter, a Topeak Road Master Blaster, on the SCR2, a Specialized Airtool Road). Each pump has a few strips of electrical tape wound onto it). Water bottle(s)

young Ed

Veteran
as it is i have only ever had the puncture fairy (yes that's right i just said the deadly word! :tongue:) visit once and that turned out to be a cheap perforated tube and that was at home, so i don't carry patches, tubes or pump but the one and only thing i ALWAYS carry and have to hand is my mobile

so far i haven't needed it for an emergency but it is always in my jersey pocket so i can reach it wherever, when ever and i can trust my nokia brick to always work. i have used it a few times to say i will be home late or so but it is often a case of family calls me to ask where i am such as yesterday my answer to my younger brother 'hello, i'm 20ft in the air on an unsteady bale trailer!)

occasionally a few bob and on longer rides i will throw a couple cereal/snack bars and an apple or two in my jersey pocket
Cheers Ed

I would recommend carrying some form of identity just in case something bad happens. I have a MedicAlert which covers such eventualities.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I carry a top peak wedge bag, all my kit fits in it, with spare tube, P******e repair kit (make sure the glue hasn't gone off :whistle:) mini pump, tyre levers, multi tool, emergency bog roll:eek:, bag of sweets, a few links of chain/chain split link/chain tool. Some cash to stop at a shop/cafe if needed :hungry: and a bike lock.
I take a couple of litres of squash (2x1L water bottles) Mobile phone with a I.C.E number in the contacts (in case of emergency) assuming the phone survives hitting the tarmac:ohmy: I have name i.d stickers on my bikes.

gbb

Legendary Member
You can overthink and overdo it mind.
nowadays I carry a phone, puncture kit...and thats about it,
I used to have a fully kitted out saddlebag....hardly ever used anything in it so packed up even bothering. Its a bit like insurance..you buy it because you wonder about bad outcomes, but it's not likely to happen. Christ, I even started carrying a few sheets of toilet roll on 40 mile rides and longer.,, just in case. Why that thought occured to me I don't know....you overthink it must be the reason.

Davos87

Guru
Toilet roll can come in handy if you suddenly encounter a previously unknown precipitous descent.

Reactions: gbb

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Apparently this is great for keeping your extras in .

7997063256_1961cc307d_z.jpg

Top Bottom