What options to change hub on Specialized Centrum Sport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickChelt

Hi,
I have a Specialized Centrum Sport which i've only ridden a few times. It is a single speed but i am finding that I need either a three speed hub or a higher ratio gear as I'm pedalling too fast.
I have a 14 mile round trip each day that I'm planning on doing during the summer (if we ever get one :-)
Would really appreciate anyone's input / recommendations on what my options are?
Replacement hub, what size cog?
Prices and any links to parts.
Thanks a lot in advance Niko

simon.r

Person
A new hub won't be cheap. You'd also need new spokes and the rebuild-cost will be a few quid. It might even be cheaper to get a new wheel. Add on the cost of a shifter and I suspect you'd be lucky to get change out of £100. Then you've got to route the cable, which may be a bit of a bodge-job if your frame doesn't have cable guides.

There are 2 options if you want to stay singlespeed, either a smaller freewheel or a bigger chainring. There are any number of calculators on the web that will show you impact that different sizes will have. Sheldon's is good IMO.

If your hub takes a standard freewheel, then a new smaller one will cost anything from a fiver to seventy quid plus.

A larger chainring will cost upwards of £20. You'll need to know the BCD and the number of holes. You'll probaly need a new (longer) chain if you go down this route.

'Normal' road singlespeed gearing is about 44:16 ('though some individuals will vary significantly) so I'd suggest getting a smaller freewheel to get you to about that ratio and trying it out. At least if you still don't get on with it, it won't have cost you much.

OP
OP
N

NickChelt

simon.r - Thanks for the reply. I think i'll try the smaller freewheel first of all and see how i get on with that.
I don't particularly want to throw loads of money at it at this stage. I really just want to be able to put a bit more power down without my legs whizzing around so fast so i think that's the way to go for now.
Great info by the way.
Thanks again.

Top Bottom