What pedal type do you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
SPD-SL for me
No problem clipping in, if you miss it the first time, go slow, and you should get it the second time. You will get used to it.
Trackstanding is better though;) Dont unclip now, unless i really need to, which isnt often at all.

xroads

Had SPD M520s on my fixed.
Tried using KEOs on my geared bike, but missed the "click in first-time" with the double sided M520s.
So switched to M520s on my geared, and instantly regained my confidence at start/stops.

Joe24

I had M520s on fixed aswell for a while, wasnt too impressed, smaller target to aim for, and the wont spin around like a larger pedal would do, i wasnt a fan.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
ime it's just a matter of getting used to clipping in on fixed. i found the look deltas the easiest (they are what i ride on my geared bikes), with spd a distant second (only cheap lidl ones though). i occasionally ride with the original chater-lea pedals with clips and no straps when we do an 'old bikes' club run, and even these are usable after a while…

mattsccm

Haven't a clue what model they are but cheap MTB SPD's ie double sided. You can lock them up real tight or just enough. Very narrow, so great ground clearance.
Instant. why don't your "good" shoes work. Are they only 3 bolters?
A cheap pair of SPD's would go help subsidise another pair

Joe24

totallyfixed said:
I do ride spd's on my touring and mountain bike but it's just a cheap lace up shoe, though good for walking in, and yes my road shoes are 3 bolters.

Do you ride laced shoes on fixed:eek:
Hope you took your laces away!

brodie

Just tuck the loose ends under the rest of the laces.

derall

Guru
Joe24 said:
Do you ride laced shoes on fixed:eek:
Hope you took your laces away!

I've got laced shoes - and not until I read Sheldon about a week ago did I realise what horrors might befall me. Now securely tucked away as I ride.

I agree with most of what has been said to date and reinforce the sensible advice that if you are thinking of taking up that pure art form of riding which we the converted know as fixed, do not ride with laced shoes. I would not advocate them even if you say they are tucked away, because if they do come loose.....:rolleyes: :laugh:
As far as the best pedal type for fixed, if you have spd's already on a roadie type shoe and finances are stretched, stick with that or even rat traps if that's what you are used to [it will date you a bit though!]. If money is no object or you have a generous partner get some speedplay's because all I hear about them is good. One sided pedals are ok for geared bikes but you can't always get into a track stand, all you fixies out there will know what I am on about.

Will1985

Über Member
Look Deltas for me on all road type bikes - easy to get out of but I'm happy trackstanding at lights on fixed or geared for it not to be an issue. My clipping in technique is always right foot secured in then pedal one-legged until left shoe is clipped in.

Do you ride the boards? I've heard that Manchester can get grumpy if you try to clip in whilst rolling.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i think it's actually forbidden to do so. even uci events such as the scratch race sees the competitors lining up clipped-in, holding onto the bar at the top of the boards or the bottom of the cote d'azure…

Top Bottom