What plumbing connector is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
And how do I remove it?

(Firstly apologies for the dirt- I'll clean once I'm done). 😄
This is a cold water inlet for a toilet, the hose is over ten years old and has developed a leak. It should as far as I know just be a case of shutting off the water, draining the cistern, and then swapping the hose for a new one.
The top connection was a standard metal nut, but this one doesn't seem to be. Is it push fit? How does it come off?

Thanks for any help!

20210921_131850.jpg

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
That looks like a push fit joined to a very short piece of 15mm copper pipe which is then connected ro a shut off valve with compression fittings.

You should be able to fit a copper pipe at the bottom. Push fit connectors are not designed for copper pipe but they may work at lower pressures. You can remove the push fit connector by pushing the outer ring upwards.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
That looks like a push fit joined to a very short piece of 15mm copper pipe which is then connected ro a shut off valve with compression fittings.

You should be able to fit a copper pipe at the bottom. Push fit connectors are not designed for copper pipe but they may work at lower pressures. You can remove the push fit connector by pushing the outer ring upwards.
you can get push fit to copper fittings.......

1632229029947.png

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
And how do I remove it?

(Firstly apologies for the dirt- I'll clean once I'm done). 😄
This is a cold water inlet for a toilet, the hose is over ten years old and has developed a leak. It should as far as I know just be a case of shutting off the water, draining the cistern, and then swapping the hose for a new one.
The top connection was a standard metal nut, but this one doesn't seem to be. Is it push fit? How does it come off?

Thanks for any help!

View attachment 610226
the top connector is a speedfit connector, you remove it by pulling the dark grey ring, upwards towards the fitting and sliding of the connector. Just make sure you have turned off the water supply first

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Pushfit connectors, be it Speedfit or any of the others on the market are fine working with copper tube. The main issue people have is not pushing the pipe home properly to create the seal. A someone has said, looks like a small piece of copper to an isolation valve. You can either remove the copper and re-use the pushfit or join via the isolation valve but you'll need a new nut and olive to get a compression joint. Assume it's the water inlet for a toilet cistern?

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Assume it's the water inlet for a toilet cistern?
It is!

And yes the water is isolated! Thanks everyone, that has solved it and it's off. What knowledgeable people live here on CC!
I just need the correct replacement now.

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

It would have been sensible for the plumber who installed it originally to have fitted the isolating valve with the screwdriver slot showing so you could turn it it off 🙄😔
Agreed. It does twist round a bit so I did manage to turn it off. But yeah, everything in this house was installed by a keen but ultimately terribly bad DIY'er, nothing works well or is professionally done. The proverbial house that Jack built.

figbat

Slippery scientist
If I were doing that I’d replace the braided hose with a standard flexible connector with a nut each end; one for the cistern inlet and the other straight onto the isolator, replacing the nut and short copper pipe that is there.

newts

Veteran
Agreed. It does twist round a bit so I did manage to turn it off. But yeah, everything in this house was installed by a keen but ultimately terribly bad DIY'er, nothing works well or is professionally done. The proverbial house that Jack built.
Flexi pan connectors (soil waste) are the work of beezlebub, seeing that one disapperaring into the floor wouldn't fill me with confidence.

Top Bottom