What Radio Drama are you Listening to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Does anyone on here listen to radio drama? Largely though not entirely the preserve of Radio 4. Much of it excellent and often sadly neglected. I often download dramas to listen to in the car due having a very long commute once a week.

Yesterday listened to "We're Backing Britain". Based on a true campaign in 1968 and involving Harold Wilson's Government as it reels from devaluation of the pound and rejection of joining the common market. Excellent story, appeared to capture the times very well including the casual sexism. An interesting theme concerning the dangers of hard left infiltration of the Labour Party. Recommended.

Levo-Lon

Guru
No ,never have.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I tend to avoid The Archers like the plague.. but often enjoy the afternoon plays on R4, plus book of the week and book at bedtime (although i'm usually watching telly at that time). Home Front is a charming little drama when it's on.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Without public radio there would be no radio plays or comedy, it isnt commercially viable, so most commercial stations shun it, which is why it is almost always only broadcast via BBC radio, another reason to pay the license fee.

I guess there is limited publc demand. It is incredably cheap to make radio drama compared with other media. Some of it is very good.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Home Front was the last "drama" I tried to get into, but for me it just didn't hit the right places, despite repeated attempts. If I happen to be in a car when it is on, I will even listen to the :banghead:dross that is daytime R5 live.
I now tend more towards podcasts: In Our Time, The Life Scientific and the evening comedy slot.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Home Front was the last "drama" I tried to get into, but for me it just didn't hit the right places, despite repeated attempts. If I happen to be in a car when it is on, I will even listen to the :banghead:dross that is daytime R5 live.
I now tend more towards podcasts: In Our Time, The Life Scientific and the evening comedy slot.
Me too, The Infinite Monkey Cage being my fave, along with the Friday comedy

Top Bottom