What`s Good In Dublin???????????????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We flew over to Dublin from Cardiff it cost £50 return, found a nice little hotel in Temple Bar, did the brewery tour, bus tour, museums, art galleries, but the best thing was taking the commuter train out to Howth, relaxing on the harbour wall, watching the yachts coming and going, and retiring to the only pub we could see for a couple of pints and food before returning on the train.

The only downside? The flights were so quick, out in 35 mins back in 25 mins, the duty free cart never got to us!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

yoyo

Bewleys is still there in Grafton Street - was there on 12th Dec 2007.

We were students in Dublin and hate the place but I had to complete a risk assessment for a school trip and we 'did' the place as tourists. We didn't do the tour bus as we knew the city. The Viking Splash tour is a legend! Zozimus (?spelling) is very good especially in the dark, Guinness and the zoo is excellent and highly regarded outside Ireland. Don't hire a car as the traffic is horrific and the city is small enough to get round on foot. Temple Bar is good.

The best fish and chips in Dublin are to be had in the place opposite Christ Church Cathedral. Can't remember its name. Ask anyone - clergy or staff - in the cathedral and they will tell you. We sampled and totally agree.

Dublin as a native - no, but as tourists, it is a good experience. Food etc is expensive but the helpings are generous and the food is good

Happy travels,

Yoyo

yoyo

I think that is right, MrPaul. The building retains its character; I don't think it has changed much over the last forty years, but I never went near it in my student days and I haven't gone back to Ireland much since we emigrated in the mid-80s.

Yoyo

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
yoyo said:
Bewleys is still there in Grafton Street - was there on 12th Dec 2007.

We were students in Dublin and hate the place but I had to complete a risk assessment for a school trip and we 'did' the place as tourists. We didn't do the tour bus as we knew the city. The Viking Splash tour is a legend! Zozimus (?spelling) is very good especially in the dark, Guinness and the zoo is excellent and highly regarded outside Ireland. Don't hire a car as the traffic is horrific and the city is small enough to get round on foot. Temple Bar is good.

The best fish and chips in Dublin are to be had in the place opposite Christ Church Cathedral. Can't remember its name. Ask anyone - clergy or staff - in the cathedral and they will tell you. We sampled and totally agree.

Dublin as a native - no, but as tourists, it is a good experience. Food etc is expensive but the helpings are generous and the food is good

Happy travels,

Yoyo

Like I said, the building is still there but Bewleys is no more, does not exist, is defunct, is extinct. But new businesses have started up in the building.

Chuffy said:
Can I just say that I've been to Dublin and didn't like it. But the Irish National museum was fantastic.

No you may not: Now back up your stick :smile:

Have the stag and Hen parties stopped invading Temple Bar now?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I love Dublin. Used to go there a lot as a kid; a bit scruffy in parts, and some of it could be called Little Poland, but it's a wonderful city.

OP
OP
Slowgrind

Slowgrind

Thanks all for your replies. just got back this morning, still a little bit jet lagged! Jameson`s does that to you! Had a great four days away, no where near long enough to see all the places of interest that some have mentioned. We did visit the brewery, distillery and several other watering holes. Churches a gaol, the national records office (amazing how many O`neills lived in Ireland when you want to find just one!) Three day bus and Dublin passes were a great idea, getting us all around and in and out of the places of interest, at very reasonable rates. I`d recommend the trip to anyone!

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I quite liked Cafe en Sein on Dawson Street, art deco style. I used to wander in to Trinity College at the bottom of Dawson street and pay student rates for tea and coffee. Then Kehoe's bar on Duke Street between Grafton Street and Dawson Street for old style pub with good Guiness in the centre of town. O'Connell street is a bit tatty nowadays and Grafton Street is busier. Molly Malone statue at the bottom of the street near Trinity. The Airport bus stops nearby. It was 7 euros last time I was there. Probably gone up since the country went bust. The old post office on O'Connell street is where we brits hung a load of the locals at the beginning of last century and there is a statue at the river end to mark this.

Top Bottom