What saddles are you sportif guys sitting on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
I find the Toupé a little on the hard side - still fairly comfortable (right size for me), I'm still trying to find a half way house between that and my Planet-X/On-One saddles which has brought me to a Selle Italia SLR thing which I've yet to properly trial.

Joe

Über Member
I'm on an SLR at the moment and it's pretty good. From what I can remember I've had Brooks, Arione, Toupe, Rolls, Charge Spoon and a few cheapies. Most have been ridden on 100 mile rides and most are fairly comfy (Spoon was too soft and Toupe was too wide - should have got 130). I still haven't found that perfect one though....I've got the urge to try a Flite next.

el gordo

I'm quite a big lad and use a Specialized Toupe gel (143), very comfortable for 100 miles+ but it took an age to get used to it and find the right saddle height/set-up. My mate is even bigger (6'5") and uses the Toupe gel 155. But, as has been said before, what suits me might not suit you.

beancounter

el gordo said:
I'm quite a big lad and use a Specialized Toupe gel (143), very comfortable for 100 miles+ but it took an age to get used to it and find the right saddle height/set-up. My mate is even bigger (6'5") and uses the Toupe gel 155. But, as has been said before, what suits me might not suit you.

That's very interesting as I've changed to a toupe (from an absolutely diabolical fizik arione) and I'm struggling a little to get used to it (although it's not *too* bad). I'll certainly persevere if it gets easier...

bc

BFTB - as you can see from the replies one mans armchair is another mans...........

the use of gel inserts over the last few years has increased saddle comfort no end

My first tour of Scotland (way back in '79) was on Puch 'Free Spirit' which had a rock hard plastic saddle - with no padding whatsoever !

jags

Guru
fizik alainti brilliant saddle ,i went through the sore ass bit this saddle sorted me out.mind you the brooks b17special is great as well what kind of bike did you get.

Noodley

TBH (and despite me being in the huff :eek:) there is no one saddle that will beat the others, although a lot of forummers on here seem to have been sucked in by Toupe advertising :biggrin:

I sometimes ride long distances. I use different bikes with different measurements and all the saddles are comfortable.

Too much attention to adverts IMO.

Just ride your bike. If it is sore, there are many other reasons other than the saddle.

Jonathan M

beancounter said:
That's very interesting as I've changed to a toupe (from an absolutely diabolical fizik arione) and I'm struggling a little to get used to it (although it's not *too* bad). I'll certainly persevere if it gets easier...

bc

This was the problem I had with the WTB saddle - everyone says they are comfy, so it must be, I'll keep trying.

But for me it wasn't comfy, hence the change in saddle. I'd suggest maybe trying another make and flogging the spesh before it gets too old & marked.

Try as many saddles as you can, if your LBS will let you of course. Most now have some sort of try before you buy.

I ended up with an Arione and have put them on both road bikes.

yenrod

Noodley said:
TBH (and despite me being in the huff :tongue:) there is no one saddle that will beat the others, although a lot of forummers on here seem to have been sucked in by Toupe advertising :wacko:

I sometimes ride long distances. I use different bikes with different measurements and all the saddles are comfortable.

Too much attention to adverts IMO.

Just ride your bike. If it is sore, there are many other reasons other than the saddle.

Quite true that Nood' position is everything !

Valkyrie

It depends on how wide your arse is! Seriously - if your sit-bones are close together then a narrow saddle is fine. If they're wider than the saddle then all your weight is on soft-tissue and it's gonna hurt. I did a 540km sportif on a Fizik Pave and had blood running down my leg by the end of it. I've now got a Brooks B17 Titanium on my long-distance bike and I can go forever on that without any damage. I've got a Selle Italia Max-Flite on my fast bike and it's fine for 200km or so, but I wouldn't want to do a long event on it. I tried the Spesh (in the 155 width) and I hated it - gave it away after doing only 500km on it. No point in keeping a saddle that ain't working for you.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Assuming your current saddle is comfortable (and if it isn't, why are you using it?) then why not use the same model? I have the same saddle on all my bikes so that my backside doesn't have to re-adjust every time I swap.

Because my current saddle is a brookes and I jus tbought a new Bianchi:biggrin:

Noodley

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Because my current saddle is a brookes and I jus tbought a new Bianchi:biggrin:

I had a Brookes on my Bianchi for a while.

tourofeastlothian100k18-5.jpg

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...erm..ok...call me shallow but it's not really the look i was after mate...besides I need to leave it on my Galaxy.

I have been looking at these:

Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow Saddle
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/selle-italia/c2-gel-flow-saddle-ec008002

Charge Spoon - Ti Rail Saddle
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/spoon-ti-rail-saddle-ec016007

Selle San Marco Aspide Titanium
http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/saddles_men/SD_SAN_MARCO_ASPIDE.html

San Marco Magma Mg White S.I.Z.E. 245
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cid/VPRX...n-Marco-Magma-Mg-White-S.I.Z.E.-245-15434.htm

Fizik Aliante Gamma XM Kium Saddle
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=15581

...I like the first link best but I am only going on looks and the fact that it seems to be leather coated and that selle italia is italian...right?

...How can I get to try several saddles out?? The LBS here are unlikely to let me ride them...

...my B17 is fantastic, I can ride all day on it and never get any pain. That tells me that I want a leather covering and not plastic etc. I saw th e2009 Bianchis have a white sam marco fitted...that was the kind of thing I am after. Oh yes I forgot to say it MUST be white.

Noodley

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...I like the first link best but I am only going on looks and the fact that it seems to be leather coated and that selle italia is italian....

So you are going for all Italian then? :becool: Not any Shimano? :rofl::evil:;)

Top Bottom