What search engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
Doesn't incognito mode in Chrome just do the same thing ie Google wont store your history.Just like in private browsing in IE.

No, Incognito and InPrivate Browsing modes only prevent websites from storing data locally (so Cookies, and Web History aren't stored on the computer).

What these methods don't do, is prevent the servers from collecting other information themselves. This means that you are still vulnerable from say Google, or advertisement companies such as DoubleClick from collecting your IP, what you view on the internet etc.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
VPN's are rubbish even ones which claim to be anonymous as most countries have mandatory data retention laws which require them to log users,. The majority of the hackers arrested and charged from the Lulzsec group recently were done so of the back of data seized with court orders from anonymous VPN services offered in the UK, US and Asia.

You need to use a decentralized and distributed service such as TOR to remain anonymous

Bman

Guru
I like this. The more people concerned with privacy the better.

Google is becoming worse and worse, the bigger it gets. DDG is a good alternative, Im using it more and more.

wrt TOR's and VPN's: I dont think they are worth the hassle just yet unless you are paranoid or up to a bit of mischief :smile:

If the governments do continue to become nosey, I probably will switch to a TOR just out of principal.

Octet

Veteran
I saw an article a couple of weeks ago that made me laugh, and this has just reminded me of it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/07/digital_delete_google/

It should be taken with a pinch of salt though, The Register isn't known for being 100% professional in their reporting style. None the less, the news is factual.
I'm not sure whether or not Eric Schmidt understands how the internet works, but considering he is the CEO of Google he should at least know something!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
.If your concerned with privacy, make sure you do not use social media such as Facebook, twitter etc and ensure that you do not use free email services such as Hotmail, Yahoo mail and Gmail.
Run your browser completely in RAM and do not use Apple mobile platforms.
If your paranoid run a proxy such as squid and pull encrypted content trough a distributed and decentralised source such as TOR

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I just want REAL privacy, is it possible to do??
Go to the library? ;)

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
.If your concerned with privacy, make sure you do not use social media such as Facebook, twitter etc

:blush:

and ensure that you do not use free email services such as Hotmail, Yahoo mail and Gmail.

I don't, although I had a gmail account set up for me previously, which seems to pop up occasionally. I'll delete it.

Run your browser completely in RAM and do not use Apple mobile platforms.

iPad currently :blush:

If your paranoid run a proxy such as squid and pull encrypted content trough a distributed and decentralised source such as TOR

It looks like I'll need to change my ways and get this here Tor thing. Thanks.

One thing I will say is that I got into the habit a while back of not having my history turned on, and deleting my 'history' regurlarly regardless of this anyway. Also, I used Bing if that makes any difference.

Finnjävel

While it's of course good to think of online privacy issues, I think it's also healthy to keep some kind of perspective in mind. I considered these issues a while back and decided that there is very little personal harm that can come to me from all this. I use VPN for, ahem, the times when I'm up to no good, and other tools as needed. Using gmail, facebook etc is just too convenient to give up. I don't think that I am personally interesting enough for google to read my email. Hell, even I can't be arsed to read most of my email.

It would no doubt be more secure to live alone in an old fallout shelter with barbed wire and motion detectors all around, but I don't think I would enjoy that.

This said, it is very important to be aware of these things to be able to make decisions.

Octet

Veteran
I think Finnjavel has touched upon a crucial point.
Privacy must be taken into perspective, and it isn't something to be worried or paranoid about.

Having said that though, it is important with what you associate yourself with. It is common practice for employers to do searches on candidates, looking for anything compromising or things that are likely to create a bad reputation for the company.

Put it this way, don't give out your home address on a public forum, and don't put your name on something that would cause problems in the future. It doesn't mean don't ever create an account for something, and it isn't people like Google you need to worry about, but things that could affect your personal and employment life (take for example the recent PCC issues).

Top Bottom