What Shops Did Your Town Have in Your Day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was just thinking about what our town has in terms of shops at the moment compared with what we used to have back in the 60's to 70's .
A lot of it is based on what a child rates as important to them at that age .
We were lucky that there was an old bakehouse less than a hundred yards from our infant's and junior schools. The shop sold sweets and penny buns . Sometimes we were lucky enough to get freshly baked ones which were still warm . The bakehouse was located next to the bus station . Directly opposite was the best cinema in our town . The Gaumont, it later became the Odeon and then Classic before becoming Gold Diggers night club . The other cinema was the Astoria which was located at the other side of the Great Western Railway embankment which cut through the town. That wasn't my side of the town in those days .
Most kids in those days knew of all the toy shops . We had Woolworths in the centre of the town , just up from them was a saddlers which sold Matchbox toys . In the early days they were as the name suggests matchbox size. They had a display stand with all the models on show . They shop also sold guns and fishing gear and smelled of leather . They also sold guns,fishing tackle, licenses and maggots . The next shop up from there heading towards school on the right hand side was a sports shop. They sold guns, sports clothing and weapons , cricket bats and tennis rackets. They also sold plastic kits and balsa wood flying models and engines .
The next shop up sold railway models . I think they mainly sold Hornby and Dinky models. I didn't go into that shop often . I think I preferred Corgi toys which was sold in the next shop up . It was an old Elizabethan timber framed building run by 2 old ladies. I think they also sold Britain's toys and also sweets . This was the shop where we would buy rolls of caps for our guns .
Opposite the toy shop was a big furniture shop . Upstairs was the toy section . They sold Triang model railways , Scalextric and Spot On model cars . I almost had a Scalextric set for Christmas but I didn't like the look of the car's , instead I opted for a Spot On road set which I soon got bored with .
The next shop up from there was the last that end of town and was a motorcycle shop and garage . It was my limit of territory in those days . Opposite from Woolies was Curry's, in those days they also sold cycles . Down the high street from Curry's was the Co-op, In those days it had a butchers shop tacked on the side , it also sold toys upstairs at Christmas . I can still remember my mum's membership number !
There were other shops in between the shops mentioned , Boots , the International super market, shoe shops , several banks , a wet fish shop, a fruit and veg shop, a couple of butchers,a haberdashery and a couple of clothes shops . There were a couple of newsagents , quite a few pubs and a couple of cafés one of which sold really good home made ice cream . In those days I didn't know of any cycle shops , they were at the other end of town .
The only shop which remains in the town now is Boots and several banks . Everything else has been replaced by modern stuff . :sad:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’m sure I’ll think of more. A few to start

bike shop
butchers
grocers
papershop
laundrette
ironmongers
chip shop
chinese
newsagents
hair dressers
betting shops

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Even although I grew up in a village with a population of around 1,000 I can remember it having 2 thriving grocers, 2 butchers, a drapers, a shoe shop, fish and chip shop, post office and general store and a garage that sold petrol and serviced vehicles. Now there is only 1 Nisa store. It's quite sad but the norm everywhere.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
WE had all the usual small shops like grocer, butcher, baker, chemist, sweetie shop ,ironmonger, 2 paper shops, post office, 2 filling stations, 3 car repair garages, coop, haberdashery and a general store.
Now coop has shut down most of them and we have post office, chemist, yacht chandler, bookshop and one garage/filling station. The rest are all selling mostly tourist tat.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
We had a few bike shops. The best were Uppadines and H.O. Smith & Sons. A fantastic model shop Cutriss's. At least 4 cinemas in town centre when I was a lad. The ABC (later Cannon) was were Kes had it's world premiere.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Lived in a village , 2 village shops and that was it
nearset town was a good bus ride away and to save money me and dad walked across fields to save bus fare

pawl

Legendary Member
Simpklins and James Quite a posh shop
Close to where I lived post office Now a bike shop Three baker’s Butcher Green Small CoOp
mr Orme used to come round on a Saturday morning on his converted stop me and buy one lace cream bike selling soap toothpaste etc

Loughborough was quite a small town and had shops catering for the farming community It has now grown out of all recognition lots of out of out of town shopping areas

When I was very small we had a chippy opposite; that was pretty much it. There wasn't even a kindergarten or a school because the pit had closed a few years before and most men of working age had decamped to Nottinghamshire taking their families with them. The background of the chippy was a slag heap which was gradually being bulldozed down to make it safe.

We did have a working men's club and a Conservative club: they were at opposite ends of the village and on friday nights the patrons would wander down the road and frequently meet under our house, whereupon they'd fall over and have a nice nap in the road until the next morning...

Brandane

Legendary Member
I moved about when young, but I suppose my home base was Rothesay on the Isle of Bute. With a population of about 5000 it had (in the 70's) over 20 pubs (that incudes hotels with public bars), a bike shop, 5 butchers (2 owned and run by my Uncles), 3 bakers, 2 tailors, a shoe shop or 2, 3 fish and chip shops, 2 fish mongers, Woolworths, 5 banks, a small supermarket (Templeton's), a haberdashery (owned/run by 2 of my my aunts), a main post office plus a sub post office within 5 minutes walk, 2 chemists, a jewellers, an electrical goods shop run by the Hydro Board, several gift shops and amusement arcades, a carpet shop, a furniture shop, 2 fruit and veg shops, flower shop, 2 off licences, hardware shop that smelled of paraffin - like they should, 2 car dealerships, 3 petrol stations, a cinema, 3 newsagents, several cafés, umpteen bed and breakfasts.
There were also shops in some of the outlying areas of Bute. A newsagent, 2 general stores, a baker, and a dairy at Ardbeg alone, to serve a small neighbourhood. All of them long gone. Others at Port Bannatyne and Kilchattan Bay.

Mind you, it was a popular holiday destination, and a lot of the above mentioned businesses struggled through winter. It's a shame to see the state of the place now. But when holiday makers can get guaranteed sunshine in Tenerife for 2 weeks for less than the cost of a bed and breakfast in Rothesay, the choice is for most, obvious.

This post prompted me to Google Bute in the 70's, and found this article which gives a wee insight to island life in the 70's.

Last edited:
There was no semblance of a supermarket or department store but we had all else for essential needs. What was interesting then was lack family members involved in the trade unless one of the sons came of age. Employees were salaried and usually one or two and referred to as store assistants. And they all had some sort of uniform. Fishmonger, butcher, bike shop, chemist, tailor, cobbler, hair dressers, barbers comes to mind.

For toys, sports equipment such as boots, jerseys, fishing gear etc meant Dad taking us to the main town, once in 3 months or so. And after pay day. Going to town also meant going to a cafe for pastries and cakes.

Buying my first bottle of coca cola was a landmark event.

Hidden away but known to the neighbourhood were clandestine cards games played in a room behind a store. Credit was given and you paid up on payday.

simongt

Guru
Too many independent traders to list I'm afraid. :sad: A few do still survive. And I mean survive. :whistle:
However, there has in recent years a spate of 'artisan' traders appear offering what I consider grossly overpriced products ( e.g., an individual chicken & leek pie for £4.50 ) for sale which folk happily pay for because it's 'artisan' - ! :wacko:

simongt

Guru
Another thing I miss is when going out for a random bike ride into the sticks, time was when any decent large village or small town would have a cafe where you could get a cuppa and a bun. :okay: Such establisments are now almost non existent. :sad:

stephec

Legendary Member
Model shops still thrive in some places, there's one not too far from me that's just moved into bigger premises, and whilst I was working in Lowestoft before Christmas I noticed a decent looking one there.

Does anyone still have a proper sports shop, the kind where you could buy balls, air rifles, dartboards, racquets, snooker cues, football boots, and archery equipment, all in one place?

Top Bottom