What Should I Be Eating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Background:
I am only 14, and I am still growing. I currently ride mainly road. only venturing on to the MTB when there is a cross race or I am bored of road and want a change. I currently eat two wheatabiz with a handful of frosties for breakfast on normal school days. ON race days/long rides I have 4w'abix with a banana or porridge with a banana. When at school for my lunch I have apple, and a banana(at break - 11.20), and ham sandwiches or chicken wraps at 12.40. In the evenings I have a cooked meal, and normally on the eve of a ride/race I have pasta or rice.

I am feeling hungry quite a lot, and i think that my new state of fitness milage is to blame. I currently do 60/70 miles a week.

SO basically what I am trying to say is what should I be eating to stop be getting hungry, and to give me enough energy for rides (sometimes ride 5/7 days a week). I also need to loose a bit of weight still from the moobs and stomach area.

Cheers
Steve

mr Mag00

rising member
try a bowl of porridge when you get in from school

montage

God Almighty
If you have fat on you and are doing that much excersize at 14, the fat will be puppy fat, it will drop off - so no real need to go on a diet in that sense. A good milky drink such as a hot chocolate seems to be missing from that diet - and could pile a nice dollop of yoghurt onto the breakfast if need be. If you want something to satisfy a sweet tooth and fruit doesn't do the job, small amount of dark chocolate isn't too bad (dark chocolate + full fat milk is the pre race ritual of an experienced trail runner I know).

To be honest, its a good diet! For snacks, anything with oats is a good one - I love those brunch bars myself while riding, but I guess they aren't the healthiest...flapjack is brilliant aswell! Especially as every mum cooks the "best" flapjack in the world.

Wish I had started riding at 14 :smile:

Good luck! (oh and if all else fails, just eat larger portions) I am no nutrition expert, but this kind of stuff hasn't failed me yet! (apart from last tuesday when I began making porridge, there wasn't enough milk so had to finish making it with water - yuck)

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Yh I need to get my mom to buy me some oaty bar things. Some of my mates at school have some really nice ones that I tend to scav when I get hungry:biggrin:. Am thinking of starting to take some raisins/another apple aswell to have at school.

I should also mention that I have a bowl of frosties when I get home from school, but I think I should substitute this for w'bix or porridge.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

montage said:
btw....before any parents/teachers say anything on the topic...GCSEs are not as important as riding your bike :smile:

For me GCSE's are going to come parralel with riding my bike. I curently don't spend too much time doing schoolwork, which is a bit naughty really because I have high expectations(I am at a grammar school). I realise i need to put my head down and focus on my work, but don't worry - I will still be riding my bike as much as I can.

Really annoying got half term next week, and ideally it would have been a week of cycling, but I have business coursework that needs to be done, and it is worth 25% of my grade so it needs to be done well.

montage

God Almighty
You can still get the rides in :sad:
Unless I excersize I can't focus on my work, and I was blessed (hmm...) with going to a grammar school aswell (infact still in sixth form there) - worklode is a female dog but can be balanced :tongue:

Sod the social life though if that competes with cycling :biggrin:
Just remember the brain is a muscle (don't care what anybody says...it is) so excersize helps!

Top job with the cycling, and nice bikes. Best of luck with the riding and the school etc :sad:

Eat loads of Fruit and Veg more then they say to, Pulses, Rice, Pasta lots of Chicken and some red meat but not loads as the body dose not need to much.

40% F&V
20% Pulses, rice and pasta
20% Chicken
10% Red meat
10% chocolate... When riding!

Dave5N

Über Member
Steve, yer diet's fine. Don't just ride your bike though. Ride it purposefully.

ANd bollocks to the half-wits on here: school work is far more important. You will earn more from your brain than your legs, however good you are at pedalling.

Remember: big salary=better bikes.

jimboalee

+1 Dave5N

I didn't do much cycling between starting my O levels and graduating from Uni'. A couple of evenings and Sundays.

Study came first before anything else. That's why I'm on £50k annual, own two houses and a Jensen Interceptor. As well as a shedfull of bikes.

If you want to risk your future on the off chance you are a good cyclist, go ahead.;)

ChrisKH

Guru
I was going to say, don't forget dairy. Very important for bones and bone development. Milk (2% max) and low fat yoghurt, cheese, etc. Good for your gut also.

Your muscles hang off a bone frame. In much the same way for a bike, you can put great components on a crap frame and it will still be a crap frame. Look after your bones. In this respect, avoid carbonated drinks as they prevent calcium absorbtion by the body.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Dave5N said:

ANd bollocks to the half-wits on here: school work is far more important. You will earn more from your brain than your legs, however good you are at pedalling.

There's no need for the attitude. The world has changed somewhat between when jimboalee and yourself did your O-levels where studying no longer gets many people a large premium in their earnings because there are millions of graduates out there and about 400 000 new ones every year. I think the point montage is making is that GCSEs are taken far too seriously thesedays, I'd say even SATs are. By all means study hard but don't take it too seriously and remember to have the occasional bit of fun. I think it's great steve is doing a lot of cycling at 14 :ohmy:. I wish I'd done a lot more cycling and cricket when I was a teenager.

I quite like oaty things, I think they are useful but they aren't everybody's cup of tea.

Dave5N said:

I think Lance may think differently to that? What do I know

ChrisKH

Guru
I think the key to the whole thing is balance. Balance your diet, exercise, study and leisure. But forget about women until you've got some GCSE's under your belt. There's the real distraction. :ohmy:

Top Bottom