What should I do next ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
At 7:20 AM on Friday, September 3, 2021 I was cycling to work when I has an altercation with a car.
The altercation was from the car cutting a corner on me in the opposite direction - I immediately shouted "oyyyyy" - that was it.
Rather than apologise, the driver turned around and then came alongside me and shouted abuse, he then pulled over, opened his door and threatened me.
I did swear and shout back at the driver to **** off which escalated his anger even more, if that was possible.

I avoided the route for two weeks, but at 7:20 AM on Friday, September 24, 2021 I passed the same car in the same area.
The car turned around and chased me for a mile, he chased me off the road and tried to reverse over me,
He shouted abuse at me and threatened me, I said NOTHING - Not a thing. He drove off in the end, I was not injured but shaken.

THIS MORNING 06/Oct/201, I was cycling to work on a different route and the same car wound down the window shouted abuse at me as he drove
pass. I did not respond in any way at all.

I have reported it to the Police with the Registration.

Do I try and record the idiot on my GoPro for evidence or avoid the area / route (indefinately) ? - seems a bit unfair !!!!
There is another way for me to go and I don't want to end up dead!

I'd avoid the area and have the go pro on anyway.
No point suffering injury or worse just to hopefully record it.

I'd also think about changing my kit. This driver is clearly a maniac.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Scary situation, fingers crossed the police deal with it appropriately. I would hope for a custodial sentence as it involves attacking you with his vehicle and repeated incidents so cannot really claim to have made a misjudgement in the heat of the moment.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'd get a different helmet, wear different clothes and chose another route. You don't want to end up getting murdered! I'd also have the Go Pro on all the time just in case.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Keep the GoPro on and go about your life. There are some stupid and/or dangerous people out there and you may have met one. Different bike / helmet / clothing may help but if they're driving round looking for you that won't change a thing.

You've reported it and hopefully the police will follow up. You don't know whether there's markers on the vehicle and/or driver.

Me? I'd blow him a kiss instead of shouting abuse back. That'll just confuse him. Possibly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I tried different kit, Jacket colour and helmet - but the red bike was the give away - I have two other bikes, a blue steel one and a black carbon one (needs fixing).

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
This man has psychotic tendencies from your description of events. The fact that weeks later, he is possibly even more enraged by events previously that he would actively try to mow you down is above shocking.

icowden

Veteran
Do I try and record the idiot on my GoPro for evidence or avoid the area / route (indefinately) ? - seems a bit unfair !!!!
There is another way for me to go and I don't want to end up dead!

Given the second event, personally I would avoid the area. However, if things don't progress with the Police or if you *have* to go in that area, definitely ensure you have your GoPro mounted and working. With luck, and given the aggression of the second episode they might find some CCTV. If you can go back to the area where he was trying to reverse over you, you could make your own check for CCTV , Ring Doorbells and see if anyone has any footage.

Drago

Legendary Member
Carry on as normal, but don't go looking for trouble. Don't let scumbags win by altering your routine to suit them (although I do appreciate that not everyone is perhaps as confident as me in such a situation).

Run the Go Pro and if Bobby Bellend reappears you then have the evidence you need for either S4/S4 POA offences, or possibly harassment. Make sure you mind your P's and Q's on video if something does kick off.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I went the way I used to go before the bellend incidents started, I was all ready with the GoPro but it was a NoShow today. I lost sleep over it last night worrying!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Were there any witnesses to the incidents? They sound terrifying.

Don't suppose there's anyone else cycling in your direction at that time that you could buddy up with for a while? I expect he'd be less inclined to approach two of you.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Were there any witnesses to the incidents? They sound terrifying.

Don't suppose there's anyone else cycling in your direction at that time that you could buddy up with for a while? I expect he'd be less inclined to approach two of you.
No witnesses, but yes there are other cyclists on the route. As winter closes in I won't be able to go that way for much longer anyways, until the Spring.

The police are discussing this with me next week - sounds like they are taking it seriously. They will probably just issue a warning.
I had my camera at the ready to day but he didn't pass me.

icowden

Veteran
The police are discussing this with me next week - sounds like they are taking it seriously. They will probably just issue a warning.
I had my camera at the ready to day but he didn't pass me.

I think, based on the level of aggression, they will be seeking to try to do more than that, but it will depend on what evidence they are able to gather as to whether they can refer to the CPS and whether the CPS will prosecute. Unfortunately it gets worse in that there is an extreme backlog at the moment caused by the Government cutting funding, so even if he does get done it could be a long time before it gets to court.

Top Bottom