What should I pay to have a wheel trued?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's a 5 minute job. I don't know many making £120/hour, even with overheads ;)

Obviously odd jobs always cost you a lot though.

Probably spend more than 5 mins just checking wheel in, contacting customer when ready, showing wheel when customer comes to collect and pay.

The five minute job is just like 90% complete. Rarely true.

IBarrett

Über Member
I had an Aksium given back to me by my LBS because the nipples were all seized.
I bought a bunch of stainless nipples, soaked the old ones in WD40 for a couple of days and swapped the lot without any real problem.

As much as I like to support local businesses I won't be going back though. His first go at trueing it after my work resulted in a very un-true wheel. His second attempt has left me with a wheel which will rub the stays. He won't see it a 3rd time.
So one piece of advice, get the wheel in the bike ASAP after you get it back and make sure it is all OK.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've been charged varying amounts for spoke replacement & wheel truing. Between £5 & £20 :blush:
The £20 was mid ride, 25 miles from home & didn't fancy risking the ride home, so was 'happy' to pay the £20. The next broken spoke I had was nearer home, so I limped home & then just took the rear wheel to a LBS, who only charged £5 for the repair :smile: & IIRC the other time when I've needed it doing I was on the WOTR near Ripon, so stopped at Moonglu in Ripon, when I rung them to get their location they said they would have time to fix it, so I was just going to buy the spoke & fix it myself, but when I turned up at the shop with a loaded tourer, they must have taken pity on me, wheeled the bike in & they did the job for a tenner :okay:

I now have the confidence to do something like this myself, but just depends where you are & what tools you have with you. If I'm miles from home & unable, then I'll gladly pay £20, cheaper than a taxi home :okay:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
tighten the two spokes so they're a similar tension to the rest, see how wobbly the wheel is if still bad then let the LBS true it if its fine then you've saved money and a trip to the LBS...….

Top Bottom