What side - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

humboldt

There are a few maniacs who are absolutely insistent that on towpaths and in parks you MUST ride on the right. I have no idea where they get this 'rule' but I've definitely met a few and they're unshakeable in their beliefs, so possibly some of them apply it to cycle paths too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There are a few maniacs who are absolutely insistent that on towpaths and in parks you MUST ride on the right. I have no idea where they get this 'rule' but I've definitely met a few and they're unshakeable in their beliefs, so possibly some of them apply it to cycle paths too.
I wish you luck telling them to read the Highway Act 1835. There's really not much of it left unrepealed, so you can just point them at the whole thing.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've had this a couple of times on our local cycle paths. I've stuck to the left and had to stop once as the oncoming cyclist didn't change tack until he had to go round me. I've always explained that we cycle on the left in this country.

With pedestrians I'll just switch to whichever side they are not on - though the majority seem to follow the 'walk into oncoming traffic rule', i.e. on their right of the track, but it's seldom a problem as there's usually plenty of time to be clear on who's going where.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Happened again tonight, on my ride home from work.
I just stopped, more to the left where I already was, to let them pass.
There was another cyclist behind me, they stopped too: the path was far too busy to start guessing directions.

Top Bottom