What size allen key fits the crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was on the canal recently, and coming towards me was a bloke pushing his bike. On enquiring what the problem was, he explained that the crank had come loose. I only carry Allen keys that fit things on my bike, and they are small sizes.

It kind of dissapointed me that I was unable to help due to the absence of a specific size key. I have plenty of keys at home, and for how little they weigh it won't matter to carry 2 or 3 larger sizes. So, can anyone tell me what size(s) I need to carry for cycle cranks. For so little effort on my part It can potentially save someone a long walk. I cycle that route two or three times per week.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Usually 8mm.

I had to get a set with an adapter to make the 6mm into 8 mm - the 8mm don;t appear on standard sets of keys
but if you look on the cycle tool websites you can find them with the adapter

Reactions: C R

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just checked and it is 8mm, but TBH it is a lump of steel to be carrying around just on the off chance you can help someone out of trouble. Also, if they have got to the point of a square taper crank arm dropping off the taper is likely wrecked and the same thing will happen again within a short time. They will probably get home I guess.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It also depends - if square taper you need a socket, then another size allen key for GXP BB's - and it needs to be a big allen key with leverage.

So, not worth carrying that for someone else.

presta

Guru
8mm for square taper, 10mm for Octalink.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
8mm for square taper, 10mm for Octalink.
Like I said, pointless carrying stuff just to fix other people's bikes on the off chance, you'd end up carrying a full Park Tool workshop to cover all the possible variations! I do carry some small items not specifically for my bike but it is tiny stuff, like chain quick links for 9/10/11spd, after that they are on their own. These failures don't often happen without warning and the random catastrophic failure that wasn't foreseeable is usually unfixable.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You need to carry one these @night cycler. Invaluable. Plus it'll make you look like a hero to any stranded cyclist.

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_125918.jpg
    IMG_20220122_125918.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

shimceltic

Veteran
Similar theme but I'm replacing crank with power meter crank and it says tighten to 54nm. My tool doesn't go that high. Can I just tighten till tight and then give an extra nip?

Top Bottom