What size bike for 5"7 inch.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fasturtle

Hi everyone. I have been riding a lot recently. I had my dad's 20 inch 90s rigid bike. Did a lot of miles on that but had to stop because of neck, shoulder and bum pain. My brother gave me his 19 inch hard tail. That made a difference on the short rides but on the longer rides I have been having the same problem. My old bike was to far gone to repair.
I have been looking at what size I would have. I am 5"7 my inseam is 29.5 inches. Online it says 16-18 inch frame. I am looking at front suspension mtb's. My brothers bike has front suspension and I do feel the difference.

So any ideas on what size I should go for?

The problem with the two bikes I can use is no matter what I do with the seat and stem to ride comfortably I have to ride upright at finger tip. Which can be tricky when breaking and changing gears.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
You should be be able to move seat forward or backwards on the rails. Short reach stems are available. Suspension forks are generally just weight on the bike unless you are actually off roading.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

You should be be able to move seat forward or backwards on the rails. Short reach stems are available. Suspension forks are generally just weight on the bike unless you are actually off raiding.
I have tried moving the seat. It didn't work. The stem is quite small already. I did think about turning the stem around but I don't think that will work. Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you looking to buy a bike that is the right size? If so go sit on a few.
How tall in your brother? 19” frame sounds big given your height. Are you still growing?

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Are you looking to buy a bike that is the right size? If so go sit on a few.
How tall in your brother? 19” frame sounds big given your height. Are you still growing?
I am looking to get a new bike but I have to wait for now. My brother is taller but not by much. He didn't use the bike much. I am not growing any more. I am in my 40s.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Loosen more and tap saddle with something heavier, it may be stuck. Photo would be useful, close up of the rails and fixing bolt.

vickster

Legendary Member
I tried moving it forward but it didn't work.
Is it stuck in the rails? Loosen the bolt or bolts under the saddle right off, and give it a thump? Grease the rails and clamp before retightening.

I assumed you were a teenager borrowing bikes from family members :okay:

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Is it stuck in the rails? Loosen the bolt or bolts under the saddle right off, and give it a thump? Grease the rails and clamp before retightening.

I assumed you were a teenager borrowing bikes from family members :okay:
It's not stuck. I will try moving it forward see if it helps.

I got a bit overweight. I tried running but I couldn't do it enough. So I tried cycling. I really enjoy cycling. I have been building up my distances and I have lost some weight as well.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

What do you guys think about suspension seat posts?

I get bad bum pain about 2 hours in to my ride. I have tried a hard sports seat which was very painfull even with a gel cover. I have tried padded shorts. The best was my big Spring saddle with a gel cover. I lasted nearly 3 hours on that. Thanks.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I get bad bum pain about 2 hours in to my ride. I have tried a hard sports seat which was very painfull even with a gel cover. I have tried padded shorts. The best was my big Spring saddle with a gel cover. I lasted nearly 3 hours on that. Thanks.

Don't ride continuously for more than 2 hours then! You are allowed to stop whilst out on a ride, have a drink of water, get off and walk around, have a look at an interesting building etc.
I never get on a bike and ride it non-stop for three or four hours. I might be out that long for a ride if I'm in the mood, but I'm not moving all the time. if I spot something I'm curious about, I get off and have a look. When I want a drink I get off. If I've taken any food with me (very rare) I stop and get off to eat it. The few minutes you spend off the saddle here and there over the course of a ride is what prevents the numbness and discomfort from building up. It also prevents stiff necks and numb hands.
I never use saddle covers, padded shorts, or any other sort of cycling clothing. Sometimes I will even ride in denim jeans - although not in really hot weather.

Top Bottom