What size bike for 5"7 inch.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Thanks everyone for all the info. I found an old seat which I used to use when I was a postie. I have put it on the bike and I think it's more forward than the other one. It has springs but it's not as wide as the other one and it has a longer nose. I have tried it a bit and it feels a lot better. I feel closer to the handle bars. I will let you know how I get on.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Don't ride continuously for more than 2 hours then! You are allowed to stop whilst out on a ride, have a drink of water, get off and walk around, have a look at an interesting building etc.
I never get on a bike and ride it non-stop for three or four hours. I might be out that long for a ride if I'm in the mood, but I'm not moving all the time. if I spot something I'm curious about, I get off and have a look. When I want a drink I get off. If I've taken any food with me (very rare) I stop and get off to eat it. The few minutes you spend off the saddle here and there over the course of a ride is what prevents the numbness and discomfort from building up. It also prevents stiff necks and numb hands.
I never use saddle covers, padded shorts, or any other sort of cycling clothing. Sometimes I will even ride in denim jeans - although not in really hot weather.
On the longer rides I do get off and sit on a bench or walk around a bit. It's a good idea when having a drink. I normally have a drink every 20 minutes but I am still sitting on the bike. I will try getting off.

I didn't really like the padded shorts. I don't tend to use them. I only used the gel cover on longer rides but I might try leaving it of next time. Thanks

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Seat comfort is very personal. I can get on with most saddles, apart from just one that came off a very cheap MTB I stripped for parts. Going to the pub and back was the comfort limit with that one. Generally I will ride a maximum of an hour continously without stopping for a couple of minutes, but in hot weather it will always be less than that because I'm drinking more water.
Some cyclists have this weird mentality that when riding, you have to keep going and do everything on the move and not stop. Unless you're competing in a race this approach is complete nonsense.

battered

Guru
Hi everyone. I have been riding a lot recently. I had my dad's 20 inch 90s rigid bike. Did a lot of miles on that but had to stop because of neck, shoulder and bum pain. My brother gave me his 19 inch hard tail. That made a difference on the short rides but on the longer rides I have been having the same problem. My old bike was to far gone to repair.
I have been looking at what size I would have. I am 5"7 my inseam is 29.5 inches. Online it says 16-18 inch frame. I am looking at front suspension mtb's. My brothers bike has front suspension and I do feel the difference.

So any ideas on what size I should go for?I

The problem with the two bikes I can use is no matter what I do with the seat and stem to ride comfortably I have to ride upright at finger tip. Which can be tricky when breaking and changing gears.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
you want a 16 or 17 mtb, or an 18 with a short stem. Normal stems are 100mm. You could get away with a 19 if you get a short stem with an angle to !ift it.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

Hi all. I put a stem extender on my bike which has made a difference and I am getting off my bike every twenty minutes to have a drink. Doing this has reduced the pain.

Thanks again for all your ideas. I am going to try out some bikes to see what size fits.

Just out of curiosity. Can you ride a bike for a long time with no bum pain?

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all. I put a stem extender on my bike which has made a difference and I am getting off my bike every twenty minutes to have a drink. Doing this has reduced the pain.

Thanks again for all your ideas. I am going to try out some bikes to see what size fits.

Just out of curiosity. Can you ride a bike for a long time with no bum pain?
Some people can yes, I’m never 100% comfortable but high quality padded shorts and the right width saddle help, and good set up. I probably just have low cycling endurance due to muscle and joint issues.
There are people who can ride hundreds of miles in a day. I can’t

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Frame size is not that critical, at least not for me, I can manage anything from 56cm to 61cm with some adjustments. The important thing is to get the saddle height correct when you try. Your leg should be straight or thereabouts with the pedal at six o’clock. Everything else can be sorted to suit.
Your backside will get used to the saddle and pain will be less the more you ride but you will eventually find a saddle that suits but excess padding won’t help, it’s how your sit bones are supported.

OP
OP
fasturtle

fasturtle

i went for a longer ride this morning. i put my old saddle on, set it to what you guys had suggested and off i went. i stopped and got of for drinks. best ride i have had so far. went for 2 hrs and 30 mins. normally by an hour i start to feel the pain in my bum and it gets worse the more i ride. the pain was hardly there at all, may be towards the end but i was so much more comfortable. this is great. it means i can do longer rides and the pressure is of to get a new bike. i am going to get a new bike in the end but for now this bike will do great. thanks again for all your suggestions and help. regards.

Top Bottom