What size tyre is this ?!? And can this frame take a different size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steptoeste

Hi- I recently bought a new Marlin and the seller threw in a Carrera mountain bike he had hanging in a lock up. I didn’t get a great look at it, but It needs a new inner tube on one of its tyres.

I have to go back and pick it up and was hoping to cycle it back, so I’d need to buy an inner tube, or new tyres before I go to collect it.

Can anyone tell from these pics, what model?! (Google thinks it’s a Subway!) and what tyre size is it? (after the PSI instruction it seems to say 32\3 !?..but that seems too big?)

Or do I have to go back and check first ?😖(which is a total pain)

I’m also torn between whether I go for a whole new tyre or inner Tube?.. the other bike could do with new tyres altogether, and as I’ve never tried an inner tube it seems like a bit of hassle to eds new tyres anyway !? ?!?!

any info would be great!

Thanks!
Ste

Attachments

• 1070BC3B-D0B2-413E-B503-2962317E6828.jpeg
    1070BC3B-D0B2-413E-B503-2962317E6828.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 2251E116-DA4C-4B79-A14B-C7FD7F4A6F92.jpeg
    2251E116-DA4C-4B79-A14B-C7FD7F4A6F92.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 9
  • C96B9609-F3D9-4845-A358-382884EA8FCD.png
    C96B9609-F3D9-4845-A358-382884EA8FCD.png
    458.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 4D20E640-597A-4A71-86FD-E9B94C61DF80.jpeg
    4D20E640-597A-4A71-86FD-E9B94C61DF80.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The numbers you have pictured are the max pressure rating 40psi/3Bar.

Your tyre size is something x approx 2.0, where that something is either 26, 27.5 or 29. My money would be on 26x2.0 or x2.1.

The tyres are well perished so will need replacing sooner rather than later. You may be ok to ride them home but don't count on it. I suggest that in consideration of the bikes apparent condition that you don't ride it until it has had a more thorough inspection rather than just fixing the flat tyre and hoping for the best.

Jody

Stubborn git
The front tyre looks to be a smaller width than the rear? Looking at your pics you could probably increase the front size but the rear is already close to the frame so that will be your max size.

Depending on where you ride, how much you weigh and what comfort level you're after pressure should be somewhere between 30 and 45. If it's tarmac only then you can go up the manufacturers max.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The combination of perishing and Kenda not very puncture proof tyres is not good. I’d say replace. Might get you home with just a new tube though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steptoeste

The front tyre looks to be a smaller width than the rear? Looking at your pics you could probably increase the front size but the rear is already close to the frame so that will be your max size.

Depending on where you ride, how much you weigh and what comfort level you're after pressure should be somewhere between 30 and 45. If it's tarmac only then you can go up the manufacturers max.

Mostly tarmac..I think I’ll sell this on though, once I get it checked over and in rideable condition…

I had two bikes stolen in 4days so keen to get back on the road, I’ve now ended up with 4 bikes so I just want to make this as saleable as possible now ! 😀

OP
OP
S

steptoeste

Thanks for all your help guys! I think I’ll assume 26” and take the risk, otherwise id have to go back and check the tyre before buying the parts…and it’s just not worth the trip! ..

I think I’ll use the bike I actually paid for as a primary one, so I’ll post another thread on that…I’m a bit lost on the tyre options to be honest so any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Spend some money on a gold rated D lock and a secondary lock for front wheel. Might be worth getting security skewers too

Thanks for all your help guys! I think I’ll assume 26” and take the risk, otherwise id have to go back and check the tyre before buying the parts…and it’s just not worth the trip! ..

I think I’ll use the bike I actually paid for as a primary one, so I’ll post another thread on that…I’m a bit lost on the tyre options to be honest so any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks
An urban runaround like the Subway runs well on modern slick baloon tyres like Schwalbe Big Apple 1.9". Good on tarmac, cobbles and rough tracks but bad on mud, snow and slush. I have a cheap knobbly for occasional snowy winter use but Big Apples do me for all local riding

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steptoeste

Spend some money on a gold rated D lock and a secondary lock for front wheel. Might be worth getting security skewers too

I have a bulldog Dlock but yeah I’m upgrading my Security and got a new cable secondary lock and a chain… am I right in thinking they wouldn’t be keen on these kind of wheels usually though? So it’s not a big risk?

OP
OP
S

steptoeste

An urban runaround like the Subway runs well on modern slick baloon tyres like Schwalbe Big Apple 1.9". Good on tarmac, cobbles and rough tracks but bad on mud, snow and slush. I have a cheap knobbly for occasional snowy winter use but Big Apples do me for all local riding

Are the current ones 1.9”…?!… I’ll definitely check that out!,

Top Bottom