What size tyres fit on this rim: ETRTO 622-18?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

I think HED and Zipp would disagree with the comments about using 23mm tyres on these rims - their latest rims are 19mm ETRTO and ride very nicely. I wouldn't put anything less than a 22mm Conti Attack on them though.
HED and Zipp aren't really marketing towards the commuter or clubman rider on UK roads though are they?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
However, despite searching on the net, the ETRTO stuff just has me massively confused. There also seem to be disagreement with different sites about what will fit on what.

Does the 18 in the ETRTO number mean the thinner width I can go for is 18" or is this a faux pas and is my actual minimum wide some way higher?

The most comprehensive document on the subject I have seen is this. It is practically certain that your rim is crochet-type, meaning it is 622-18c (18mm internal rim width), so tyre width north of 25mm would be consistent with ISO 5775, fwiw.

However the above hasn't stopped me using 20mm tyres on 622-15.5c rims (which have 20mm nominal external width) - operating tyre widths (and pressures) from 19mm to 25mm (137psi to 104psi) are suggested by the manufacturer.

Will1985

Über Member
HED and Zipp aren't really marketing towards the commuter or clubman rider on UK roads though are they?
There were the same fears about pinch flats when the wider rims first came out, but people have found they are fine. I've not had any in the 10 months of ownership, unlike numerous pinch flats on my Campag wheels over the years....that's my n=1 experience anyway.

Top Bottom