Votes: 9 19.1%
  • 35mm

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • 37mm

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • 42mm

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Continental Contacts 700 x 37c. They were on when I bought the bike and have been fantastic. No unexpected deflationary events in over 1000 miles. And thinner tyres wouldn't necessarily make for a faster bike. Besides, they really soak up the bumps and give a very comfy ride.
tongue.gif

Same here I had one unplanned deflation in the first month (circa 100miles) but it was a half glass bottle in the middle of the path and I really should have saw that :blush: They've not had a p'ture since though (they're now at just over 7500miles) and the back tread is only just starting to show wear. I'll put narrower tyres on it eventually but whilst they are still performing I'll wait.

37mm on my commuting hybrid (Vredestein Spider, which were on it when I bought it second-hand just over a year ago - and no unexpected deflations so far, despite daily use!).

Paul_L

Über Member
mine came with 40s. One of the tyres developed a tear so i've just swapped them for 35s.

The 40s could take 80psi but the 35s have a max pressure of 65 psi which i don't like much.

Edit - most of my commute is on a rough tow path, so i think 35 is the smallest i'd want to go to.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
2 lots of M+ at 35mm, one M Winter at 35mm and M Supreme at 32mm. I think 32mm will be the settled size in the future but I'll wear out the M+'s first, think the M Winter only go down to 35mm so will stick with that size in those. I can keep pace with everything I need to keep pace with on 32mm, though I may run 28mm on one bike in the future, but not a commuter.

OP
OP
F

Fish on a bike

Strange, the max pressure being 65psi my bro's 37's go up to 80psi, must be differing trypes of construction I guess.

mine came with 40s. One of the tyres developed a tear so i've just swapped them for 35s.

The 40s could take 80psi but the 35s have a max pressure of 65 psi which i don't like much.

Edit - most of my commute is on a rough tow path, so i think 35 is the smallest i'd want to go to.

davefb

Guru
hmm interesting..

i'm on 35's.. my mate ( who's been cycling for longer than me and got a cycletowork a few years ago though he's moved work now) he used to cycle bolton to warrington on the fitted 42's

he changed to 32s but swapped back because he'd had a few near miss skidding offs and one big one... (though none of this is actually off road, just dirty cycle lanes / roads :sad: )

i guess a lot of it is due to confidence and the surface you're riding on...

personally, i'm not gunna change for change sake, though i might go smaller on the front when things wear out/get damaged.

Jezston

Über Member
37 continental country ride which came with my bike on the front to give me control on the gritty towpaths, 25 bontrager road tyre on the back for a little less weight and road resistance. A combination that was working really well for me for the last six months, but the bonty gets taken out by the tiniest thing so I'm switching back to the two country wides!

Anyone recommend a suitable compromise between rolling resistance, weight, grip and protection? Riding on towpaths half the time, road the other, so I guess a 28-32 semi slick with a touch more grip than the gatorskins would be ace.

jimboalee

My Hybrid ( how I hate that name. Its a 'mish-mash' bike ) has Conti UltraGatorskins 28-559 26 x 1 1/8".

My sports tourer has 23-622.

My little 20 has 37-451 20 x 1 3/8".

My gents upright has 37-590 26 x 1 3/8".

That means four different PRKs and four pumps. A PRK with a pump banded to it for each tyre size.
So if you're asking what profile my 700C tyres are, they're not on your list of options.

A hybrid BTW, is a 700C that is fitted out to go on the trail, OR a MTB fitted out to go on the road. Or even a 20 inch shopping bike fitted out to go on the velodrome.

Unfit Fifer

M+ 28 * 700.

Relly good, although has some visits from the fairly in recent weeks. BIt of squeeze putting them back on.

The bike came factory fitted with Conti - 32 and they slip on like fake tan on a footballers wife by comparison.

jack the lad

My Hybrid ( how I hate that name. Its a 'mish-mash' bike ) ...

A hybrid BTW, is a 700C that is fitted out to go on the trail, OR a MTB fitted out to go on the road. Or even a 20 inch shopping bike fitted out to go on the velodrome.

Depends what you want your bike to do. My On-one Pompetamine is described by the manufacturer as 'urban' as 'hybrid' doesn't sound cool enough, even though that's what it is! Car maker's call their equivalents 'crossovers', which is even worse!

I chose that style of bike as I wanted a good all-round, do anything bike. Light and fast enough for the road, strong and stable enough for pot-holed streets, bridlepaths and touring. It's not as light and fast as a road-racer or as good on really rough stuff as an MTB - but it's a great compromise, not a mish-mash. I've got a racer and an MTB too, but since I got the Pomp they've not had an outing!

Tyres are part of the compromise. Mine rolls on 32mm Conti Top-Contacts which are good enough on and off road to forget about them! If I did more pure road riding and only occasional smooth paths I might go for 28s, if I did more bumpy and muddy off-road miles I might go up a size or two, but I won't even think about it until the original tyres are worn out. I expect I will replace like for like!

jimboalee

Finally got round to Googling 'On One Pompetamine'.

In the seventies, we made them ( with rim brakes of course ) ourselves. Single speed or maybe a Sturmey AW3 with twistgrip.

A fun woodland bike which also went on the road. A 'Tracker'.

How much did you say you paid for it? I made my Trackers from old discards from the tip.

Top Bottom