What size??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simmo

Hi all, I'm 6ft 2 inch with 33 inch leg. My road bike is a 58cm ( that is my bike size ) what I'd like to know is..... there's a cyclocross bike for sale and it' a bargain but it's 56cm so my question is, would it make a massive difference as 2cm is nothing??!

simongt

Guru
Depends to a point on the rest of the proportions. Also, you can always extend the seatpin by 20mm.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
assuming you can get your bike fit the same with a longer stem, saddle set back and height and drop to bars, even a few mm can make a massive diffrenece

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Give it a try. Do you think you can make it bearable with a few changes?

I’m just about the same size as you and I used to have a much smaller framed bike (think it was 21”) and it was manageable as it was but feel much haappier on a 58/60cm frame.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
A couple of things to think about

"6ft 2 inch with 33 inch leg", the latter seems quite short for someone 6ft 2"; did you measure from from crotch to floor or ankle? I ask as many reference the latter as that's the trouser length they choose.

Be Careful with listed sizing is can be confusing as manufacturers often reference something different as a size compared to other manufacturers, not to mention most round up or down, the listed size is often little more than a rough guide as a starting point. For example in the picture below Van Nicholas list it as a 56cm, others may list it as a 540 as that's the actual seat tube length, others may list as a Medium or Large! Manufacturers are aware that listed model size varies so in an attempt to clarify most now list the 'Stack' and 'Reach' of the frame, 568 and 384mm as shown below. It's those numbers you need to reference when comparing one listed size with another; assuming you have access to the data of your 58cm road bike and the 56cm cyclocross bike?

Last edited:

pclay

Veteran
I think the most important measurements are stack, reach and top tube length.

You may find a 56cm has much lower stack and therefore puts you in an aggressive position.

Top Bottom