What Size ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Jarse

Can anyone steer me in the right direction for road bike sizing, I know everybodys a different size and shape but I've managed to talk my better half into letting me get a new road bike and I want to get it right, I currently have a 58cm Carrera (don't laugh) which hs served me well but it's time for a change I am an overweight 5'10 with an inside leg of 30/31, I've always thought that my bike was o.k. for me but it seems that everyone I see on a road bike has a smaller bike/longer seat stem combo.

Welcome to the forum.

It depends on so many things. Get down to your local bike shop and they'll be able to fit your bike better than a bunch of guys on the internet. "Local bike shop" means local independent retailer run by cyclists, i.e. not Halfords, Evans or Cycle Surgery.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You really should visit a bikeshop, and due to the fact that every single bike manufacturer uses a different sizing structure, you could be anything from a small through to size 58". I would bet money on you being a 54" though. Can't buy Giants in 54" because they come in S,M, L hence why you need a shop.

ANY shop will do

jashburnham

Get measured. Remember going by your inside leg measurement is a bit pointless as it does not take back length into account. All frames are different - I've had a Specialized 55cm, Focus 54 and my new Pinarello is a 56, all have fitted very well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The manufacturers all have different frame designs now - many moons ago things were a little easier. Even I wouldn't know where to start with these newer framesets - off to the shop. The old guide was 9-10" less than your inseam, but this is for horrizontal top tube frames. Then you've got all the torso measurements etc.

Mortiroloboy

Hugh, have a look at www.bikefitting.com and, no I don't have any vested interest before everyone pipes up. It is my stock reply to any sizing queries. Get along to your nearest participating shop, get measured, the staff will then point you in the direction of the manufacturer whose bike geometry best suits YOU. and you'll get your £35 measurement fee knocked off the cost of the bike you buy. = perfect fitting bike:biggrin:

Top Bottom