What Speed should I look to average?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Comparing peoples averages can often have a negative effect, like has been said before, there are so many varying factors that it can be like comparing apples with pears. Keep a track of your own progress with a simple spreadsheet, but don't get too hung up on it when you are filling it in. Fill it in quickly and close, then review at the end of a week, month to see your gains. It may be you haven't increased the speed but the effort you put in to do this may be lower.

Most important, enjoy it. No point in whizzing along at a 20mph average if you find it a chore......

david k

Hi
my average average is about 11.8mph

as low as 10.5 on some rides and a high of 16mph on a flat summer run. a good average for me tends to be 13mph most the time

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Your average is exactly that- your average, other peoples are down to them, their route, bike, conditions and so many more factors, my 11 mile ride on thurs was average 15mph with 36mph as max- on a horrific downhill- on a similar bike and same wheel size as you.
If you're interested in that sort of thing keep a log and try to work on them.

rollinstok

I agree with getting home safer not faster.
Throw the bike computer away and enjoy the ride. Setting targets will certainly get you fitter, they will also ruin your enjoyment as the ultimate goal is to "beat your best". This leads to risk taking, dissapointment after many rides, and for many, disenchantment with cycling.
Your fitness will improve just by being on the bike, your mental fitness will improve by not chasing your own tail.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Setting targets will certainly get you fitter, they will also ruin your enjoyment
Each to his own. I enjoy setting and trying to beat targets, as well as just cycling. But I never set targets on the commute - too many risks, without me making split-second judgements under the influence (of speed targets).

Ethan

Each to his own. I enjoy setting and trying to beat targets, as well as just cycling. But I never set targets on the commute - too many risks, without me making split-second judgements under the influence (of speed targets).

Well said. The commute isn't for gaining fitness or breaking targets. I'd rather get from A to B late, but safe and happy - Rather than dead.

I do set targets on some of my other rides, a little bit faster, a little bit more effort, a little bit more distance.
Not always though, sometimes I just potter along at 5 miles an hour taking in my surroundings!

OP, don't worry about your average speed to much. My average speed on my commute is between 12 and 14 miles an hour, average on a pleasure ride can be as little as 10 to over 20.
I depends massively on your route, who your with and why your cycling. My average on my 50 miler today was 12mph, including a lovely macaroon stop!
If your happy doing 13mph - which I dont actually think is that bad if your stopping for lights often - go for it! If your set your self targets and push your self a little bit more than you should every time you have a ride. You'll soon be speeding past

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
The commute isn't for gaining fitness or breaking targets.
Not breaking targets, but that doesn't mean to say that (certainly on my route) it's not a useful little routine work-out - 5 miles, four sets of lights, mostly straight roads and no 'orrible junctions. But I'm quite happy to wait for lights, or to pootle along in a queue of traffic if I have to, as the stopwatch isn't ticking. It's a good stop-start few miles - putting in maximum effort at certain safe points, and easing off in between. I must think up a name for that sort of training....

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Can't go anywhere round here without tackling some serious hills. Couple that with weather (the winds, oh the winds), traffic, road-works and then take into account personal well-being, motivation and even what I am wearing on the day and that is why my average is nearly always lower than others state on their posts! I don't care though, I know I'm fitter and I feel stronger than 12 months ago and I love what I'm doing with my free time these days. LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!!!

GrasB

Veteran
Forget about your average speed, it's a trend statistic used to track your progress. You'll do better getting a HRM & learning about training zones or better still getting a power meter, but this is probably too extreme as you can buy decent bikes cheaper than power meters!
What Speed should I look to average?

30 mph for starters.
I'd say 26mph would be a nice average to aim for... I mean do that on a turn around France & you'll almost certainly be handed a nice jersey which matches the bannana in your back pocket, little trophy & gain a certain level of notoriety.:giggle:

pepecat

Lol!!

Two years ago i averaged about 10mph. Last summer it was up to about 12-13mph... hopefully this year it'll be up again, but who knows! On the flat i average about 15-17mph, of course once you chuck hills into that it takes it down dramatically!

Top Bottom