What stoves do you campers use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brommyboy

Über Member
I prefer the Trangia but in the very distant past I used a petrol stove. The Trangia suits me very well but for those occasions when meths is unobtainable, I have just acquired a Honey Stove. This supports the meths burner and acts as a windshield but will easily convert to a wood burner, being so designed.
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product397.asp

bigjim

Legendary Member
The adapter I bought off e-bay works well with gas stoves enabling you to use the cheaper, less than £2, cartridges, rather than the £5 screw in ones. Very stable as well as the cartridge also acts as an extra foot. You can buy them with a propane mix for colder weather.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 58

peelywally

cafe or take away :whistle:.

got a trangia but rarely take it on short trips open fire does the job of brewing a cuppa or heating a tin of curry .

bigjim

Legendary Member
For a day out when no cafe or too expensive or just independent-
cost of stove- 0
weight of stove-25grams
time to make- 15mins
time to boil 300ml of water- 4mins
fuel- 2 small esbits
cost of fuel -14pence.

Attachments

• esbit-can1.jpg
    esbit-can1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 67
Vaude Markill with piezo start. Weighs 91 grammes. Can fit the stove, fuel cartridge and teabags, coffee, dried milk, soup sachets, spork, etc into the pan and lid from my trangia. Weighs much less than the Triangia, and gets hotter quicker.

I also have a Swedish Army Trangia but it is a much heavier animal than the civvy version. It can be boiled on a fire though. Incidentally, FYI the only Trangia bit in the ensemble is the burner. Everything else is made by others.

Of all fuel types I've tried, gas is probably the most energy/cost efficient.

Stoves I have :- Trangia 27UL, Swedish Army Trangia, Coleman Peak One, Vaude Markill, Camping Gaz Bleuet, home-made fire-box, Crusader Cookset, Hexi-burner, Kelly Kettle, and the open fire :rolleyes: ....... gas is best.:thumbsup:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I agree gas is quicker, cleaner and more efficient. However for a casual brew on a day out it is too heavy. Having to carry a possible full cartridge against a couple of esbit tabs means the homemade can stove is a winner for me.

I agree gas is quicker, cleaner and more efficient. However for a casual brew on a day out it is too heavy. Having to carry a possible full cartridge against a couple of esbit tabs means the homemade can stove is a winner for me.

Ah yes, good call. I'll have to add a couple of hex's to my "fire making kit". I usually carry an enamel mug too, so it can double as a pot for boiling just the right amount of water for a brew ! Crudaser Cookset is good for that too, since it nests really well with my military water bottles. I use these as they have a nice wide mouth on them, so I can guzzle like a demon, and the dog can use the other side !!

bigjim

Legendary Member
Ah yes, good call. I'll have to add a couple of hex's to my "fire making kit". I usually carry an enamel mug too, so it can double as a pot for boiling just the right amount of water for a brew ! Crudaser Cookset is good for that too, since it nests really well with my military water bottles. I use these as they have a nice wide mouth on them, so I can guzzle like a demon, and the dog can use the other side !!
I think you may struggle with the enamel mug. The pot I use is a very thin aluminium pot that I got as part of a 3 pot nest from milletts. As aluminium is a good heat conductor it boils very quckly and does not use the complete 2 tabs. I always have some left. I,ve tried enamel and s/steel mugs but they don't get to a boil before the two tabs burn out. The original hexi cooker is also very good for bringing to the boil in the same time as the can stove and it does have the advantage of being able to throw a few twigs in as well if you wish, but it is a little bit heavier than the can at about 90g.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks for all the input.
I eventually went for a Clas Ohlson meths stove. It's lighter and smaller (though the frying pan/plate/lid is actually broader than the lid on the Trangia 27. The best bit is the price. £9.99 from the clas Ohlson store (though unfortunately, if you don't live near one, they don;t sell online:

http://www.clasohlso...px?id=158410255

Here's a rundown on another forum against a trangia:

http://www.bushcraft...ead.php?t=53709

My Clas Ohlsen boils water quicker than my Trangia 25, but only by about a minute.

I also made a wood gas stove, just for fun, and it works well, and while not bulky itself is perhaps too much to take with the Clas Ohlsen as well.

I did find this though, which is ideal for burning wood with either a Clas Ohlsen or a Trangia. It's the Trangia version of the clickstand and about £20.

http://www.jackson-s...px?ModelID=8112

Being stainless steel, you could burn wood in it without it deforming.

looks like you found a bargain there... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Gotte

Gotte

I did. It's a great little stove. I took it away camping recently, and it worked flawlessly. A perfect piece of equipment for me. In the world of meths stoves, I simply haven't found anything lighter or as compact, which cooks as well. I highly recommend.

Top Bottom