What stoves do you campers use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pshore

I'm looking to get a lightweight, reliable stove for cycle touring/camping

I went through a fairly similar thought process myself. My guess was that a wood burner of some sort would raise eyebrows, especially in very dry/hot places where I wanted to tour. Has anyone had trouble with that ?

If you are worried about bulk, its always easy to cut down on kit if you have not been through that process. Eg, my trangia saucepan is my plate, breakfast bowl, kettle and chopping board.

I use the 27UL by the way. I leave the fuel in the plastic bottle it came in but pack carefully.

I use a freestanding gas stove with a remote line - also have a multifuel that will work off canister gas - never used it in anger with a liquid fuel as I have never been anywhere that I could not get gas.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
MSR pocket rocket here too (the boil up times are impressive and its tiny, but you need the gas canister)- although I am considering getting another trangia.
A bottle of meths is a pretty insignificant amount of weight and as you say available everywhere.
A friend had a multi fuel that he used to run on petrol from his motorbike. It was messy smelly and he was forever cleaning the jet.

andym

Über Member
Person who asked about wood-burning stoves and fires. Most campsites these days ban open fires, but most permit barbecues - I've never had to argue the point but if I did I'd argue that a stove should be regarded in the same way as a barbecue. But as with everything, use discretion and common sense. So don't use it in a tinder-dry forest in mid-august (but I'd be cautious about using any kind of stove in these conditions).

A bottle of meths is a pretty insignificant amount of weight and as you say available everywhere.

Erm a litre, or even a half litre of meths, isn't exactly insignificant. Meths is great for short trips where you can measure out the amount you need. For longer trips the greater efficiency of gas is a factor to consider (especially if you use cooking system with a heat exchanger).

Beardie

I use a Kelly Kettle, which is basically a water jacket around a chimney. There are various accessories available, to enable it to be used as a stove, and I have successfully cooked a two-course meal on it, interspersed with several cups of tea.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Erm a litre, or even a half litre of meths, isn't exactly insignificant.

Sorry, it was a bit off the cuff, but it is relatively insignificant when you consider the rest of your camping kit/clothing. Also if you consider its only the similar weight to a bottle of water its not such a biggy imho.:tongue:

JackE

Über Member
Andy M,
According to a recent review in TGO magazine, the new Ti Tri Caldera Inferno is a huge improvement on the original system. It introduces "secondary combustion" to the mix which means less smoke and cleaner burning.
Last year a poster on here used a Bushbuddy for a 6 week tour of France and Spain. He had no problem finding fuel.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Person who asked about wood-burning stoves and fires. Most campsites these days ban open fires, but most permit barbecues - I've never had to argue the point but if I did I'd argue that a stove should be regarded in the same way as a barbecue. But as with everything, use discretion and common sense. So don't use it in a tinder-dry forest in mid-august (but I'd be cautious about using any kind of stove in these conditions).
On stoves/barbecues in camp sites:
The point is going to be whether the grass gets damaged or not. Previous visitors may have left patches of dead grass despite making assurances that their stove was OK, so arguing the point may not work. Barbeques generally means proper ones, and doesn't include disposable ones that may be used on the ground or just a couple of bricks.

On wild camping:
When I was in the US, fire risk meant everything except gas was banned over large areas (on a national forest area basis), and is a couple of cases whole areas including minor roads were closed off. In between bans not starting until just after we left or ending just after we got left we only had a couple of no stove days.
Having watched UK TV fire coverage, and ridden through burned off areas in France & Spain, I think you would have to work on the basis that campfires, woodburning stoves, and possibly other stoves could get banned in any mediterranean area during the July/August/September period. As a foreign visitor you would be unlikely to know about the bans in advance, and possibly not after arrival either, and that the likely reaction to being caught breaching a ban would be confiscation.

andym

Über Member
If you are going to an area that is prone to forest fires (and these really account for only a relatively part of Europe) then you definitely should find out what the restrictions are. For instance in parts of Corsica (IIRC) you can only cook/bivouac in the areas set aside for this (this applies to all forms of stove). The fire warnings are pretty visible. But the issues are pretty much the same whatever type of stove you are using.  I've also seen the damage done by forest fires so I take them seriously too.

I didn't have any problem using in campsites in northern France - which of course, like most of Europe, doesn't have problems with forest fires. Wood-gas stoves produce little heat and and most of the heat goes up rather than into the casing and very little goes downward - so they are very safe to use with no damage. And you can safely use on a picnic bench, or in the facilities that are provided for barbecues at many campsites. If you saw one in action they are very clearly and demonstrably a different proposition to an open fire. OK you might be unlucky and get grief at the occasional campsite but in most places they'll neither know nor care. If the campsite has expressly prohibited barbecues then I'd also take that as applying to a woodburning stove). As ever, the watchwords are discretion and common sense.

It's obvious that for some reason you really hate the idea of wood-gas stoves but, speaking from experience rather than prejudice,  they are a perfectly feasible alternative - for most places at least, if you are planning to go o an area at a time when there are likely to be particular fire restrictions well do your reasearch (in any event I would carry a gas or meths stove as a backup).

hubbike

A lot depends on where you are going and how much you cook.

gas: convenient(-ish). Some gas stoves are more controllable than others - so spend a bit more if you want something that will simmer instead of just act like a mini-flamethrowere (the pocket rocket isn't called that for nothing!). There are different standards for gas stoves. In some parts of Europe (France, Spain and Italy) CampingGaz canisters are more easily obtainable but you can get converters. be aware that you can't take gas cylinders on planes or Eurostar.;{edit: missed the bit where you said that you weren't interested in gas)

- meths/alcohol. Fuel is easily available - although you may only find it in litre bottles. 900g sounds like a lot - that must be including at least one pot surely? There are lighter alternatives (eg Caldera Cone) which will team up with a lightweight titanium pot;

- multi-fuel. Most flexible alternative, but probably unnecessarily heavy/expensive/compex unless you are planning to go somewhere remote;

- wood-gas. I found this a very feasible option - although probably best in tandem with another fuel. I had (until it went AWOL) a Bushcooker. I did a little review of it here:&

good post andym! I use a trangia alcohol stove and think it is the best option if you are outside of europe. where you can find gas canisters readily this is great. What's the problem of 1 litre of alcohol. for cycle touring this is a very convenient amount. in pharmacies across south america you can buy 1ltr or 500ml I always bought 1ltr. sometimes industrial alcohol was available in supermarkets and hardware shops. this is generally cheaper and stronger than medical alcohol. sometimes in a TWO litre bottle.

multi-fuel. why is that any good for somewhere "really remote"? I assume when the problems of a stove that clogs up, has many parts that wear out, and is fiddley to fix (so you have to take lots of little fiddly spares and tools). Is irritating, noisy, unpredicatble and smelly to use. Oh and dangerous (must be used far away from tent/flamable things). always too hot so you burn all your food....no thanks. I would feel far safer if I can have my trangia back now please! seeing as every pharmacy the world over sells alcohol.

bush cooker (or a simpler hobo stove) are an interesting option I would like to try. wood is very often easy to come by and free!!

willem

Über Member
Alcohol is not as easily available in every country, and if you need to cook in really cold weather a petrol stove is preferable. But for most of Europe, yes please a Trangia is great.
Willem.

hubbike

Alcohol is not as easily available in every country, and if you need to cook in really cold weather a petrol stove is preferable. But for most of Europe, yes please a Trangia is great.
Willem.

Where can't you find it? look here

I would say a considerable number of places outside of europe too! cold is not a problem if you warm up the burner in your gloves for 40 seconds. even down to -15 it worked superbly for me. and I used a trangia above 4500m with no problems.

you'll have to do a lot better than that to persuade me to use petrol...

I'm in the market for a new stove and the honey stove has caught my eye. It's primarily a wood burning stove but can also be used with a trangia burner too.

Anyone got any opinions on it?

http://www.raymears....he-Honey-Stove/

getimg.jpg

Top Bottom