What stretches should I be doing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
My current job involves lots of walking, and combined with the cycling I do my legs are constantly aching to some degree.
I'm guessing some stretching would help? What do you recommend?

Also, what kind of shoes are best for lots of walking on concrete, up and down stone steps etc? I'm currently wearing either Nike Vandals or Converse All Stars which are clearly not ideal, and my knees are not thanking me!

wafflycat

I'd recommend going to see a physio who can advise on an individual basis and also check to see if there's any underlying problems.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
you need firmer shoes than them. Some approach walking shoes would be my choice, some merrells or salomons would be good. Vibram soles a definite

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
wafflycat said:
I'd recommend going to see a physio who can advise on an individual basis and also check to see if there's any underlying problems.
Hmm, maybe. I'm pretty sure there are no real problems though. It seems to be a case of too much leg activity that's causing the aching. It's when having to walk alot after long weekend rides that it's worst so some post ride stretching should help, no?
As for the slight knee pain, it really does feel like I need shoes with a bit more bounce and support. Maybe something like this (I'm on a tight budget ;))? http://www.offthepath.co.uk/product.php/965/mistral-mens-shoes

wafflycat

I have Brasher boots for wearing when I'm doing some 'serious' walking (Lady GTX) and I love them. Instantly comfortable for me and many a mile walked in them. I am known to be wearing them if I'm doing a lot of urban walking - not just rural walking. Mind you, feet are one of those things where I recommend 'try before you buy' so they're something I don't buy online.

Joe said:
My current job involves lots of walking, and combined with the cycling I do my legs are constantly aching to some degree.
I'm guessing some stretching would help? What do you recommend?

Also, what kind of shoes are best for lots of walking on concrete, up and down stone steps etc? I'm currently wearing either Nike Vandals or Converse All Stars which are clearly not ideal, and my knees are not thanking me!

Should be able to get something good and cheapish from Millets.

col

Legendary Member
might also be worth getting your legs up now and again,you know,laying on the settee and put your feet up on the arm if its higher,or lay on the floor if they are not,and rest your calfs on the settee while on the floor,as long as your legs are higher than your waist.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
My guess is that you're trying to do too much exercise too quickly. If your legs are hurting all the time, you need rest, not stretching. Stretching doesn't cure sore muscles. I would back off on both the amount and the intensity of the exercise you're currently doing.

Top Bottom