What stretches?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
have a look here.
Although it says 'cycling stretches' they include the ones I do for running as well.

ASC1951

Guru
Modern wisdom seems to be that you are better not stretching before vigorous exercise - you just need to warm up your muscles. The stretches are for afterwards.

That certainly works for me.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
ASC1951 said:
Modern wisdom seems to be that you are better not stretching before vigorous exercise - you just need to warm up your muscles. The stretches are for afterwards.

That certainly works for me.

+1

Best not to stretch before an event when muscles are cold; best to stretch after.

I'd just do some light jogging and a few 'strides' beforehand.

Hont

Guru
Had a look at that link and I would recommend using this technique for stretching the hamstrings as the one shown can strain the back.

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Hamstrings/LyingSingleLeg.html

And I'm really not sure at all why you would want to do the back stretch exercise, as your back is stretched when you're on the bike anyway. The others are all designed to stop your muscles from shortening (a hazard of cycling as you don't fully extend the legs) but this does not apply to the back.

If anything you should extend the back by bending backwards with your hands supporting your hips rather than flexing it forwards again.

ASC1951

Guru
buddha said:
have a look here.
Another point on stretches. This site suggests a single sustained stretch for 30 seconds. My physio (along with lot of others) prefers a two stage stretch - do the stretch first for 20 seconds, remove the tension for ten seconds while still in the same position, then gently go back into a slightly deeper stretch (the 'developmental stretch') for another 20 seconds.

It is particularly important to have warm muscles for this dual stretch.

Top Bottom