what stuff do i need.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
hi guys ok, I pick my bike up tomorrow. I have some gear already but as a complete noob what else do I need. I currently have.

1/ helmet
2/ glasses
3/ cycling jersey x2
4/ cycling shorts x2
5/ gloves
6/ small repair kit ( multi tool, patches and tiny pump)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You don't need a helmet if you don't want one.

Get yourself a track pump for home, something like a joe blow

Lube for the chain

Baby wipes, to wipe the bike down

Lights if you are going to ride in the dark

Couple of tyre levers
Couple of spare inner tubes (easier to repair the tube back home)
Pack a pair of tweezers for glass/thorns/... in tyre (what caused the puncture)
Small seat bag for the repair stuff
Water bottle with holder
Fingerless gloves (helps if you come off) and some more normal, warmer gloves

(If you head out in the rain) waterproof jacket, back mud guard,
(if you head out in the cold) long tights,

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
If the small repair kit list is all that's in it I'd add at least 2 tyre levers and pick up a spare inner tube when you collect the bike. It's much easier to just change a tube by the side of the road than faff about patching one (although I find I tend to do both, but save the patched tube for the next puncture).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you just need to add a Track Pump and the lights to your list. When replacing tyres try not to use the levers, you might end up inadvertently pinching the inner tube. If you use both thumbs and work towards the middle you should be able to do it. Good luck.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
What you dont need... pants. When wearing cycling shorts.

Tim Hall

Practice fixing a puncture in the comfort of your own home/garage/shed/secret bunker before having to do it for real miles form anywhere in the dark, cold and peeing rain. Did anyone suggest a couple of pairs of disposable gloves to keep your hands clean when puncture fixing?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
What you dont need... pants. When wearing cycling shorts.

another thing you don't need is a chain cleaning gadget

You will want some oil, some grease, and I'd also suggest a chain wear indicator as it's much cheaper to replace chains regularly, than the whole bloody lot slightly less regularly.

If you're DIY oriented, and budget can stretch to it, I'd also get a good set of T-bar allen keys - I have the Facom set but it was buttock-clenchingly expensive, but now I've got it, don't regret it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not necessarily 100% necessary, depending on your pedals, but: Shoes.

If you're riding ordinary (flat) pedals then you can ride in any shoes/trainers, but the stiffer the sole the better. You might want to consider getting some cycling shoes that take SPD cleats. These have ordinary soles and you can walk around in them, and you don't have to fit cleats so you can use them on ordinary pedals. Then if/when you want to go clipless (there are specific threads all about this) you'll have some ready to go shoes.

And +1 to @Tim Hall 's suggestion about doing a bit of tyre removal/tube changing practice in comfort.

Make sure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure, under inflated tyres are the quickest way to collect punctures or rip the valve out of your inner tube, and under inflation is the most common problem with those just beginning to cycle

Top Bottom