What the hell is wrong with my legs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is a real puzzler for me!

On Tue morning I finished the last of 4 nightshifts and set off to cycle home. Nothing unusual there, but within 100 yards of leaving the factory gates I knew something wasn't right. I felt as though I had pulled something in my right leg, maybe a muscle from my groin down my inner thigh :eek:. If I pushed hard (as I normally do) it was agony, so I had to back off and balance pace against discomfort.
It didn't loosen up for the entire ride of 10+ miles and the other leg also began to feel the same shortly after. It is now Friday and things still ain't right. Bending down to pick something up, crouching, or even sitting/standing from the loo hurts! I feel almost as weak as when I broke my kneecap a couple of years ago. I would say I feel like I have been doing an unusual activity, like shoveling rubble while leaning in through a hole in the floor, but I haven't.
I did a spin class with Mrs Skol on Fri before starting work. Not something I do very often but not the first time either. No pain afterwards and I then cycled to work for 4 nights absolutely fine until coming home on the last trip.
I did get back out on a bike yesterday with a visit to an MTB trail centre but my legs definitely are still not right and I had to be careful, get it wrong and I was rewarded with sudden twinges and stabs of pain :thumbsdown:

The rest of my body is normal, just seems to be muscular and hip/thigh related, so I guess that rules out any flu type virusy things making my skeleton ache?

I have wracked my brain trying to remember any unusual activities I may have done on that last night at work or the day before (sleeping).

What on earth could be wrong with me?

vickster

Legendary Member
A Physio or Doctor can possibly tell you ;)

Possibly back related?
Blood clot as another recent poster with not dissimilar symptoms?
Get checked out

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Unfortunately, knowing my GPs, I know exactly how that conversation is going to play out.....

"So you are a fit, active, middle aged man and have hurt some muscles in an unknown manner! Take these painkillers for a while and if it doesn't clear up then try to make another appointment and we will take it a bit more seriously then...."
Still, give them the chance to prove you wrong. Or ask a pharmacist first. If you don't ask, you'll definitely get no help.

And if your GP keeps pulling stunts like that, transfer if you can.

Pinched a nerve at some point is my guess but who knows.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Still, give them the chance to prove you wrong. Or ask a pharmacist first. If you don't ask, you'll definitely get no help.

And if your GP keeps pulling stunts like that, transfer if you can.
To be fair, I am probably of the same opinion as my GP at this stage. I have pulled or tweaked something in the last few days and while I am certainly uncomfortable, I am in no way incapacitated and can/have ridden my bike, also lay on my back in the car passenger footwall to change the cabin pollen filter since my 'injury' (a fair feat of contortion for someone my size!).
I would consider my attendance at the doctors an irresponsible misuse of their time at this point and would be mighty pee'd off if I couldn't get a needed appointment because all the slots were filled by people in my position.
If I still feel like this after the weekend I will then consider a trip to the doc's.
I am just puzzled because I really can't work out what I have done to cause this. I thought I had nailed it with the pollen filter job, until I realised that was a day or two AFTER the injury surfaced......

Reactions: gbb

iluvmybike

Über Member
Go and see a sports physio - it will be worth the money spent and they won't just send you away with paibnkillers or tell you to 'rest' it

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Unfortunately, knowing my GPs, I know exactly how that conversation is going to play out.....

"So you are a fit, active, middle aged man and have hurt some muscles in an unknown manner! Take these painkillers for a while and if it doesn't clear up then try to make another appointment and we will take it a bit more seriously then...."
:laugh: That why I don't bother going

Alan O

Über Member
First thought from me is a back/nerve issue too - it's easy to put pressure on a nerve without any obvious event causing it, and it can result in pain down one or both legs.

I recognize it when it happens to me on occasions, and I'm just getting over a bout of it now - it's taken a couple of weeks and regular stretching exercises.

(Not a medical diagnosis of any kind, of course, just based on my authority as "some bloke on the internet")

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hey @I like Skol welcome to middle age :tongue:
Yes, go to a physio, they will sort it.
Also, we should do Pilates, they will tell you that, but you won't do it because it is boring ... like I don't do it either :whistle: so I keep my wee aches and pains :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's a thigh muscle it may have been caused by setting off to vigorously with cold muscles.

Most muscular strains don't manifest themselves until a few hours or even a day after the original injury. Try a hot bath and massage those thighs in the hot water. My cycling buddy swears by adding sodium bicarbonate to the bath water, must try that some time after a long ride.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It sounds like this is now a moot point for @I like Skol
You can't keep a good man down. (Well, there are ways, but this a family-friendly forum so we won't go into them! :laugh:)

I'm sure it will not be long before The Skol is riding about and flinging himself and his bike down unfeasibly steep steps again. (I had heard that he had a penchant for that kind of thing and I finally got to witness it last year ... Impressive, but not something that I will ever do!)

I had something similar - after a stretch class I came out showered and was fine - when I tried to walk up the stairs could barely lift my one leg - same when I got home and same the next morning. Got to see a physio who reckoned my knee cap was out of line and my hamstrings were so tight they were beginning to tear. He gave me some exercises and things improved pretty rapidly.
It was very unnerving to loose leg function - and the fact there was no pain made it worse. Thankfully no problems since.

Top Bottom