What Tint for Night Riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doyler78

Cycling home tonight the pouring rain and wind (and really enjoyed it) I hit the unlit part of my journey which is at the top of hill, so downhill and twists and turns only to find that my orange tint lenses were so dark I couldn't see a thing and got blinded by every car coming the other way. I couldn't pull them off until I hit the bottom of the hill but I was riding near blind. I was bricking it.

Anyway without the glasses on I could see perfectly well and it wasn't my ayups letting me down, which was my initial concern, just my lens choice.

I have ridden every other night with the orange lenses and never had any probs so can only assume that the rain was affecting my ability to see through them right.

What tint would be best for this.

I have transparent, yellow, blue or smoke although not sure that I need any glasses in the wet as there doesn't seem to by much dust about to get in your eyes in those conditions.

Don't be fooled by the lack of dust - grit gets carried in the water flicked off the road, definitely wear glasses.

If I know I am going to be riding at night I tend to wear either blue or clear lenses. I like blue lenses in cities at night as they control headlight glare very nicely, and are still fairly good for unlit sections. Clear obviously don't restrict light imput at all.

I'm not a fan of yellow lenses at all.

Maz

Guru
Why not wear contact lenses? They're so much nicer to wear than specs when it's raining. I keep a spare pair of disposables at work.

Tynan

Veteran
orange in the day, clear at night

clear all the time at the mo as the tinted ones have gone walkies

fine at this time of year, my eyes aren't good at low light so tints at night don't work for me

and no glasses in the wet, I suffer from dust and the like as I wear contacts but there's almost no bother at all when it rains

domtyler

Über Member
I always keep a peaked cycling cap handy at this time of the year. If it is raining I will just use this with the peak pulled down as far as practicable, this will keep the wind, rain and dust out of your eyes while allowing unrestricted vision.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
domtyler said:
I always keep a peaked cycling cap handy at this time of the year. If it is raining I will just use this with the peak pulled down as far as practicable, this will keep the wind, rain and dust out of your eyes while allowing unrestricted vision.

+ 1

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Thanks everyone. Will bring the blue, transparent and yellow with me as they have all been recommended and dissed. Seems different people get on with different tints better than others in the dark. If all that fails I will then try the cap job. Got the glasses so might as well try them first and if that doesn't work will try the alternatives. Thanks again.

There is only one way to keep the rain out of your eyes when cycling

http://www.theyachtshop.co.uk/items...nd-accessories/hat-sowester-h50008-detail.htm

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
whatever happened to people wearing sou'westers and rain capes on bikes (now i think about it i think my dad did that for a while when we had no car)?

I think you can still get them in some places, you see the odd old geezer wearing one. However, in the most part, they have been replaced by the latest whizzy products from the likes of Gore and Assos, which are probably far more profitable!

Top Bottom