What tire size is faster on pavement... 26",27.5" or 29"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wintor

Im buying a mountain bike because it fits my style more, feels better and looks better than a road bike...plus I like to do some stunts (like wheelies, jumps and drifts). But I wont be riding it on mountains or anything, just on the road and maybe some trails from time to time. So I need to know which tire size is faster on the road? Is it the 29ers? Or 27.5"? Or 26"?

Also btw, these are some bikes Im considering right now, so if you tell me which one you think is best, i would really appreciate the advice! :smile:

-Rockrider 540 -> https://www.decathlon.ie/rockrider-540-mountain-bike-en-s120355.html
-Giant ATX 2 (2017) -> http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/atx.2/28587/101110/
-VooDoo Aizan --> http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-aizan-29er-mountain-bike
-Carrera Vengeance --> http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vengeance-mens-mountain-bike-black
-Carrera Vulcan --> http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vulcan-mens-mountain-bike

screenman

Legendary Member
How big is the engine?

ChrisEyles

Guru
Tyre choice will make a bigger difference than wheel size. If you're mostly going to be on the roads, fit some slicks and you're good to go on any wheel size.

I'd personally go for a rigid MTB if I was going to be using it 90% on the road. They're still pretty capable on the trails too, you just need to take rock gardens, rooty bits and suchlike a bit slower.

I'd also personally go for a late 90s rigid MTB, since you can get some good bargains, and they are a bit longer and lower than modern ones, which is good for road riding - but that's just me.

OP
OP
W

Wintor

Tyre choice will make a bigger difference than wheel size. If you're mostly going to be on the roads, fit some slicks and you're good to go on any wheel size.

I'd personally go for a rigid MTB if I was going to be using it 90% on the road. They're still pretty capable on the trails too, you just need to take rock gardens, rooty bits and suchlike a bit slower.

I'd also personally go for a late 90s rigid MTB, since you can get some good bargains, and they are a bit longer and lower than modern ones, which is good for road riding - but that's just me.
Thank you!

ChrisEyles

Guru
If you're planning on doing much trail riding it's probably worth having an actual test ride on some 26ers and 29ers, since they do feel pretty different to ride and you may prefer one or the other (I prefer 26" myself). On the road there's not much in it, any wheel size is good.

OP
OP
W

Wintor

If you're planning on doing much trail riding it's probably worth having an actual test ride on some 26ers and 29ers, since they do feel pretty different to ride and you may prefer one or the other (I prefer 26" myself). On the road there's not much in it, any wheel size is good.
Thank you... Ill go down to the local shops this week and take a look at few... Ive been told on some other forums that 29ers are faster, but ill defo try out a few bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

screenman

Legendary Member
Oh well, I tried.

If you want to jump, you probably want to avoid 29ers. It's not that it's not possible but it's harder because of the necessarily longer wheelbase and chainstays. 26 would probably still be the best but 27.5 is not going to be much worse. As for speed on the road, it's kinda not compatible with the jumping bit, so you need to decide on which is more important. A higher front end and shorter wheelbase will be better for jumping but a longer wheelbase and a lower front end better for maintaining a rhythm on the road. 27.5 will feel marginally smoother rolling, so all in all a 27.5 inch bike will suit you best I'd say.

All of the bikes you've posted are quite similar. I'd take a close look at the geometry of each and start to learn how they differ and how that migh suit you, based on what I've said and what you want but you won't be looking at profound differences.

OP
OP
W

Wintor

If you want to jump, you probably want to avoid 29ers. It's not that it's not possible but it's harder because of the necessarily longer wheelbase and chainstays. 26 would probably still be the best but 27.5 is not going to be much worse. As for speed on the road, it's kinda not compatible with the jumping bit, so you need to decide on which is more important. A higher front end and shorter wheelbase will be better for jumping but a longer wheelbase and a lower front end better for maintaining a rhythm on the road. 27.5 will feel marginally smoother rolling, so all in all a 27.5 inch bike will suit you best I'd say.

All of the bikes you've posted are quite similar. I'd take a close look at the geometry of each and start to learn how they differ and how that migh suit you, based on what I've said and what you want but you won't be looking at profound differences.
Oh ok, thanks... I think ill go with the 27.5"... its a good balance between the jumps and speed i guess!

Cubist

Still wavin'
@Wintor

Get some small block tyres like Kendra or DMR

The sort of riding you describe would be best suited to a Dirt Jump bike. Mostly 26" anyway, some even 24". Rigid fork, simple, triangle bombproof frame. Cool as.

Top Bottom