Upgrade tire, what is the correct tire width?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Your interest in AI to help the OP, in another place (the 37! page thread).

Beats me :smile:

OP
OP
M

Milena

Maybe it's time to write that list of everything you want to buy, work out what you actually need then from that what you can actually afford.

You're going to end up with stuff that's not required, wasting money in the process. There's been plenty of good advice been given out in answer to your various questions, but you don't seem very keen on even considering that advice.

I do not know what I need and don't. I know come things I certainly need, like bike cleaning gear, lights, helmet etc. I have bought some of those during the black friday sale. Take a peek at the screenshot.
Also I got pedros tire levers x 4 and Rema Tip Top TT 04 Sport repair kit (puncture) that cost me £9. £4.99 + P&P. Both from Amazon. Got that puncture repair kit as I read it's the best out there.

Giving back the shorts. Just bought them to try and don't like them.

Not sure if I should keep the Torque wrench or not. Overkill for my Caerra Crossfire 3? I can get my bike serviced for free but I pay for parts, at the canterbury bike project. He has park tools stuff, including a torque wrench.
But I figured it is worth buying for the constant seat adjustments I will need to make to find the right height angle etc.... but obv I do not have a carbon frame.... but then there are Nm ratings for each nut etc... so surely it matters even though its not a carbon frame?

Still need
front light, didn't buy one as I do not know how many lumens I need, and if I want a wireless dip controller and what kind of beam will suit my terrains etc.
hand pump
spare inner tubes
helmet, mudguards + mudguard adapters
kick stand
gloves for summer and winter with protection in case of fall
ground anchor + chain for garage, secure nuts to replace the QR on the front tire as rear tire is locked using my Kryptonite lock... though it might be worth getting ones for the rear tire too and maybe seat and seat post
potentially new better tires (till I have picked this, no point in buying inner tubes, as inner tube selection is dependent on width of new tires), clothes for winter cycling, clothes for washing the bike
brake disc guards muc off,
disc brake cleaning spray
buckets with grit guards and lids, rags... don't have any so might buy rags,
chain cleaning device thing
pannier rack and pannier bag and maybe a saddle bag. Maybe water bottle holder
Pannier rack cateye adapter for rear light which I bought (Viz 150)
cycle tire emergency repair thing, chain link spare things, multitool
That's all that comes to mind right now

Attachments

• 2023-12-02 22_57_08.jpg
    2023-12-02 22_57_08.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Recommend you DO NOT buy:
torque wrench (return it!)
chain cleaner device thing
cycle tire emergency repair thing
chain link spare things,
disc brake cleaning spray,
new rear tyre,
kick stand and bottle cage (both low priority): need for it will be informed by your usage - the first 20 hours of riding the Crossfire
Recommend you do immediately buy:
mini-pump, small enough to carry
One or two inner tubes 700-40c 35to45-622 - they will be fine whatever tyres you fit.
(you have the levers (carry two) having practised taking the tyre on and off a few times at home)
multi-tool (simple)
Pair of gloves - Lidl/Aldi often have them affordably

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If riding in the dark, you need lights asap
A wireless dip controller? Why? If you want to dip the light to not dazzle someone coming towards, push it downwards or just put your hand over it!!
Lumens wise, are you riding where there are street lights or is it pitch black countryside?

OP
OP
M

Milena

Recommend you DO NOT buy:
torque wrench (return it!)
chain cleaner device thing
cycle tire emergency repair thing
chain link spare things,
disc brake cleaning spray,
new rear tyre,
kick stand and bottle cage (both low priority): need for it will be informed by your usage - the first 20 hours of riding the Crossfire
Recommend you do immediately buy:
One or two inner tubes 700-40c 35to45-622 - they will be fine whatever tyres you fit.
(you have the levers (carry two) having practised taking the tyre on and off a few times at home)
multi-tool (simple)
Pair of gloves - Lidl often have them affordably

Eh. I've ridden my bike for more than 20 hours now. I've had it since June. Or July.
Why shouldn't I get a new tire?!
I still haven't checked what's caused my new puncture. Hopefully I'll check tomorrow.

Have waiting for collection from halfords muc off 8 in 1 and muc off aerosol degreasing spray. Thinking about cancelling the spray and getting the sadly very expensive drive chain cleaner neon yellow colour spray muc off.

Wdym by (simple)?

I really need mudguards and pannier rack and pannier bag or bags. Can put water and food in there. And puncture repair kit etc.

Can't stress how important FULL mudguards are in UK weather. Really helps keep everything much cleaner. I rode gravel for miles in the rain. It was bad. All my clothes and backpack needed washing. The bike was covered in mud and grit. I had grit in my mouth.

How am I going to clean my chain without the chain cleaning thing? Like the muc off x8 or 3 whatever it is?
I'm NOT taking the chain off to clean it everytime.

Why don't I need the torque wrench? All the nuts and bolts have a rating written as to how tight they should be fastened. Doesn't it matter?

How will I protect my brakes from contamination when spraying drive chain cleaner and brushing the cassette and hosing it all down if I don't buy the brake guards?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I do not know what I need and don't.
Correct.
No point in over analyzing every single purchase.
Like all of us, once you have been cycling for a few years, you will have a collection of stuff you bought but then found out it's not for you.
You will have tried and changed many tyres, till you find the one you like the performance of.
Then you will get another bike for a different kind of riding that requires another kind of tyre :laugh:
As you are not commuting, that means you don't need a working bike ready every day to get you to work, you can make do with what you've got, upgrade when founds allow.
From your list, there's stuff you don't really need, not even if you commute every day.
But there's no point in telling you what the stuff you don't need is, because you going to buy it anyway, if just to satisfy your need to know if you need it or not.
Important, even if only riding for leisure, is to acquire basic mechanic skills.
Knowing how to change an inner tube is a must, even if you push the bike home because it's too cold and wet to do it on the road side.
The rest can wait, buy a pack of baby wipes and clean the bike with that to start with.
Not environmental friendly, but cheaper than all the products on your list.

OP
OP
M

Milena

A wireless dip controller? Why? If you want to dip the light to not dazzle someone coming towards, push it downwards or just put your hand over it!!
Lumens wise, are you riding where there are street lights or is it pitch black countryside?

I ride in all kinds of places. I'm not communing. I ride for fun/fitness. I can ride wherever I want.
I would love to do the crab and winkle from whitstable to Canterbury. It's pitch black. Not a single light. But, maybe I wouldn't enjoy it in the dark. And it's certainly not a need. And maybe criminals lurk in the darkness along that path at night?

Wireless dip because I don't wanna blind drivers or people walking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat "5mph"

Yes, I have about half a dozen now: some are good for my bikes, some will be given to a bike charity ... eventually :whistle:
Aye, but if the OP is short in money, he could not ride in the dark until he can afford the purchase.
I still haven't checked what's caused my new puncture.
What are you waiting for? This is basics to keep you cycling!
Can't stress how important FULL mudguards are in UK weather. Really helps keep everything much cleaner. I rode gravel for miles in the rain. It was bad. All my clothes and backpack needed washing. The bike was covered in mud and grit. I had grit in my mouth.
Yes, correct, but you can wash the bike, no?
I commuted last year on my ice bike without mudguards, somehow didn't get round to put new ones on - the old ones broke.
I had to use the bike because I had to go to work.
Yes, I had grit in my mouth: had a shower, cleaned the bike, after a week commuting ... ahem ... got to work and back, no one died, the bike survived another winter.
How will I protect my brakes from contamination when spraying drive chain cleaner and brushing the cassette and hosing it all down if I don't buy the brake guards?
Wrap the disks in old, clean rags.
Or don't spray the chain, use, again, rags to wipe it.
Simples.
Don't even buy rags, use old clothing or whatever old sheets/towels are available at home.

Pat "5mph"

I'm NOT taking the chain off to clean it everytime.
No need, just wipe it while you move it backwards.
Why don't I need the torque wrench? All the nuts and bolts have a rating written as to how tight they should be fastened. Doesn't it matter?
Doesn't matter, unless you have a carbon bike.
Of course, I have got a torque wrench ... used once in 10 years :whistle:
One time I did use it to change my chain rings, got a mechanic to check, he said "spot on", I never bothered with the wrench again :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom