Upgrade tire, what is the correct tire width?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
How often do you ride off road, and what kind of terrain, in what weather conditions?
Well tell us about your riding activities first: how often do you ride off road, and what kind of terrain, in what weather conditions?

Worth you considering that your interlocutors have wide experience - e.g. Ming will have averaged 10000+km for many years riding year round, upwrong and supine, snow/ice and on and off road. Personally (on a road bike with 25/28s) I always try to include a bit of 'rough stuff' in any ride.
How do you know that the GT365s don't have puncture protection better [than the Kendas] that it warrants buying them at the price of £12.50 each? (including delivery).
Please explain how and state any sources.
I have suggested you just buy an M+ for £30: no pneumatic tyre will reduce the risk of puncture more.
[Deleted]
Sources for 'puncture protection' of makes/models of tyres are weak and for most tyres rely on maker's claims and bs marketing without independent evidence-based assessments.
You may find this site useful (I do): I think I've shared it already but expect you didn't look.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews
How about this, with a bit of slipping on wet grass: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/continental-contact-urban-tyre?color=blackreflex&wheelSizeWidth=700c+|+40mm

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
There's no 38mm? Only 35mm? No option to change width size. On ribble. Surely going from a 42 to a 35 would be less comfortable and less grips off road, aka gravel, mud?

They were listed as 38mm when I first posted on this thread.
I doubt you will notice much difference in comfort or grip. Kenda tyres are poor, I’m not surprised your getting punctures. I’d still buy the ones from Ribble, apparently they come up large and they are certainly budget friendly, surely worth a try?

You initially wanted best puncture protection, so as @Ajax Bay says, the best puncture protection you can get in a pneumatic tyre is the Schwalbe Marathon+ but they won’t be as grippy as the 365’s, your choice but you may have to compromise.

Ajax Bay

Guru
GT365:
1701517890394.png

OP
OP
M

Milena

They were listed as 38mm when I first posted on this thread.
I doubt you will notice much difference in comfort or grip. Kenda tyres are poor, I’m not surprised your getting punctures. I’d still buy the ones from Ribble, apparently they come up large and they are certainly budget friendly, surely worth a try?

You initially wanted best puncture protection, so as @Ajax Bay says, the best puncture protection you can get in a pneumatic tyre is the Schwalbe Marathon+ but they won’t be as grippy as the 365’s, your choice but you may have to compromise.

You really think there won't be much difference in comfort and grip going from a 42 to a 35?

I'll buy them then... The marathon plus look too slick in comparison for mud and gravel.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
You really think there won't be much difference in comfort and grip going from a 42 to a 35?

I'll buy them then... The marathon plus look too slick in comparison for mud and gravel.

Go for it, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.
Don’t forget, Ribble can be a bit slow on delivery, worth the wait at that price.
Let us know how you get on with them👍

OP
OP
M

Milena

Go for it, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.
Don’t forget, Ribble can be a bit slow on delivery, worth the wait at that price.
Let us know how you get on with them👍

What about the fact I'm planning to add pannier rack with bags? I'll be carrying more weight at times? Won't I need thicker width tires for that?

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Milena - Warn any project manager you ever have to work with that:
  • All goalposts are subject to repositioning
  • Tolerances are not acceptable
  • Value for money and budgets are for the customer to determine, and change throughout the project
  • Any advice will only be accepted if backed up by evidence - otherwise questioned ad nauseam or just rejected
  • Any communication that appears to be a decision should be considered an opportunity to breath
Edit: image deleted

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Milena

@Milena - Warn any project manager you ever have to work with that:
  • All goalposts are subject to repositioning
  • Tolerances are not acceptable
  • Value for money and budgets are for the customer to determine, and change throughout the project
  • Any advice will only be accepted if backed up by evidence - otherwise questioned ad nauseam or just rejected
  • Any communication that appears to be a decision should be considered an opportunity to breath
View attachment 715212

I haven't done what you've said. I've also never provided a budget because I don't have one. I'll spend what I have to, after weighing out what options there are, the knowledge of which I discover through here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
@Bonefish Blues

Much difference in comfort and grip going from a 42mm to a 35mm cycle tyre?

Yes, there can be noticeable differences in comfort and grip when transitioning from a 42mm to a 35mm cycle tire. Here are some general considerations:
  1. Comfort:
    • Wider Tires (42mm): Generally, wider tires offer more comfort as they provide a larger air volume. This means they can absorb more shocks and vibrations from the road, resulting in a smoother ride.
    • Narrower Tires (35mm): Narrower tires might transmit more road imperfections to the rider since they have a smaller air volume to absorb shocks.
  2. Grip:
    • Wider Tires (42mm): Wider tires often provide better traction and stability, especially on uneven or loose surfaces. They can distribute the rider's weight over a larger area, improving grip.
    • Narrower Tires (35mm): While narrower tires can offer a more responsive feel, they might have slightly less grip on certain surfaces compared to wider tires.
  3. Rolling Resistance:
    • Wider Tires (42mm): Generally, wider tires can have slightly higher rolling resistance, meaning they may require more effort to maintain speed. However, advancements in tire technology have mitigated this difference in many cases.
    • Narrower Tires (35mm): Narrower tires may have lower rolling resistance, potentially providing a more efficient ride on smooth surfaces.
  4. Terrain:
    • Wider Tires (42mm): If you frequently ride on rough or unpaved surfaces, wider tires are often preferred for their better stability and traction.
    • Narrower Tires (35mm): If you primarily ride on smooth roads, narrower tires can offer a more efficient and responsive ride.
  5. Weight:
    • Wider Tires (42mm): Generally, wider tires can be slightly heavier than narrower ones. This may affect the overall weight of your bike, but the difference might not be significant.
Ultimately, the ideal tire size depends on your riding preferences, the type of terrain you frequently encounter, and your personal comfort preferences. It's a good idea to consider these factors and potentially test ride both tire sizes to determine which feels better for your specific riding conditions. Additionally, tire pressure plays a crucial role in comfort and grip, so adjusting the pressure within the recommended range for the chosen tire size is essential.

Why am I being tagged please, I don't think I was a participant on the thread?

classic33

Leg End Member
I haven't done what you've said. I've also never provided a budget because I don't have one. I'll spend what I have to, after weighing out what options there are, the knowledge of which I discover through here.
Maybe it's time to write that list of everything you want to buy, work out what you actually need then from that what you can actually afford.

You're going to end up with stuff that's not required, wasting money in the process. There's been plenty of good advice been given out in answer to your various questions, but you don't seem very keen on even considering that advice.

OP
OP
M

Milena

@Bonefish Blues

Much difference in comfort and grip going from a 42mm to a 35mm cycle tyre?

Yes, there can be noticeable differences in comfort and grip when transitioning from a 42mm to a 35mm cycle tire. Here are some general considerations:

So yes. Wider tires will suit me better. Thanks. I won't get the GT 365's then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom