Upgrade tire, what is the correct tire width?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I don’t think these are the same size?
@Milena currently has 42mm width.
That's why I said "close enough".
47 is > 42 @Alex321 - measure first. When I fitted a 28-622 M+ where a sidewall bulging PR2 28 had been, the issue was its height for mudguard (non)clearance, under the seatstay bridge. Annoyingly it was OK just spinning the wheel but at 7am, rolling out needing to ride >200km (Day 5 of end-to-end having fitted tyre near end of Day 4), when sitting on the bike there was contact. Stop. Remove and ditch mudgard. Carry on. Oban ferry caught at end of day.
47-622 is actually 700x45c - which I know is still more than the 42, but only by 3mm and I think the crossfire 2 has enough clearance.

OP
OP
M

Milena

That's why I said "close enough".

47-622 is actually 700x45c - which I know is still more than the 42, but only by 3mm and I think the crossfire 2 has enough clearance.

Crossfire 3. Does width increase also mean overall height increase? Thinking about mudguards...

Is it better to go up a size from what I have or down?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Crossfire 3. Does width increase also mean overall height increase? Thinking about mudguards...
Is it better to go up a size from what I have or down?
I have advised you to measure the frame's and fork's clearance so you know the maximum width you can fit. Clearly 'going down' (narrower) from your 42-622s means there's no risk they'll be too wide (to fit).
I have described how some tyres - in particular the M+ - have height which is greater than their width on a rim of sensible inner rim width (yours are).
Wrt the GT365s, they are as heavy as M+ so must be sturdy. Here's a review (but NB at <£10 if quick):
https://www.sevendaycyclist.com/schwalbe-marathon-gt365-tyre
Do not confuse the Schwalbe One 365s (rrp >£50) with these GTs.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I see Schwalbe have replaced the gt 365 with '365'. I'm assuming it's somehow better? The new one without the gt in it?

I have the GT-365 for the front of my recumbent, which I stick on if there’s a cold snap. They are pretty robust and can handle snow as long as not sheet ice. They have good grip in cold wet conditions and I’ve also ridden them on the odd bridleway without issue. A solid choice for winter if you’re not trying to set any speed records.

IMG_0973.jpeg

Jameshow

Veteran
I see Schwalbe have replaced the gt 365 with '365'. I'm assuming it's somehow better? The new one without the gt in it?

Also, will the gt 365 have much better puncture protection than my kenda tires? And how can one tell?

First puncture was apparently a thorn. Gave it to my lbs to fix, and he told me.

Next one, sounds like multiple punctures. This one has happened after just riding the bike 5 or so times since my lbs did a puncture repair. I haven't looked at what's caused it yet. I need tire levers, puncture repair kit etc. Only just got a pump delivered yesterday. Joeblow sport 3.

Also, my tires and rims are dirty. Rear tire cannot hold air due to the punctures. I reckon I shouldn't get dirt, mud, grit etc into tire where there's the tube and rim, while doing a puncture repair.

Can I wash the tire, tube and rim? I mean washing it as is, would mean water would go into the rim etc. So I might be better off just separating rim, tube, and tire and washing them all?

Or will it rust my rim because water will get caught under the rim tape strip thing?

Yes wash your bike after each wet/dirty ride. Keeping your bike clean is half the battle.
When I do a puncture repair I put a jacket down and do it in that so I don't loose levers or pump in the grass.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Yes wash your bike after each wet/dirty ride. Keeping your bike clean is half the battle.
When I do a puncture repair I put a jacket down and do it in that so I don't loose levers or pump in the grass.

OK... This doesn't help. It IS dirty NOW. I've already asked what I asked and was clear and specific.

Also you wash your bike after every ride?! That's obsessive imo. And would costs lots in water. Full drive wash too? Chain, cassette etc?

I'm NOT going to wash my bike after every ride. That's going to cause rust and would cost a fortune in, lube, wash, water, time etc.

I will be doing the repair at home. I have a bike stand too.

Alex321

Veteran
I have advised you to measure the frame's and fork's clearance so you know the maximum width you can fit. Clearly 'going down' (narrower) from your 42-622s means there's no risk they'll be too wide (to fit).
He has 70x42C currently, which is 44-622, not 42-622.

All the xx-622 tyre sizes seem to be 2 more than the nominal mm width until you get down to 35 or below (weirdly, 35-622 and 37-622 are both 700x35C).
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/groessenbezeichnung (click on "how many tire sizes are there")

Ajax Bay

Guru
I advocate measuring the current tyre to know, in reality rather than specification, how wide and high the tyre is and how high it sits beneath the fork crown / bridges.
He has 70x42C currently, which is 44-622, not 42-622.
All the xx-622 tyre sizes seem to be 2 more than the nominal mm width until you get down to 35 or below (weirdly, 35-622 and 37-622 are both 700x35C).
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/groessenbezeichnung (click on "how many tire sizes are there")
We don't know whether the OP is a 'he': have a care with pronouns.
The OP's tyres are Carrera Puncture Protect by Kenda, Hybrid
Here is the Kenda spec: these tyres are "700x42c" (per OP) and as you will see Alex, the ETRTO spec is 42-622: https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/bicycle/city-trekking/kwick-journey/
212889700x42c42-622 55 60SINGLEK-SHIELD WIRE 853±43

Alex321

Veteran
I advocate measuring the current tyre to know, in reality rather than specification, how wide and high the tyre is and how high it sits beneath the fork crown / bridges.

We don't know whether the OP is a 'he': have a care with pronouns.
While we can't be absolutely certain, I'm fairly sure Milena is a he.

But you are right, IU usually do try not to use he/she unless I am more certain.

The OP's tyres are Carrera Puncture Protect by Kenda, Hybrid
Here is the Kenda spec: these tyres are "700x42c" (per OP) and as you will see Alex, the ETRTO spec is 42-622: https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/bicycle/city-trekking/kwick-journey/
212889700x42c42-6225560SINGLEK-SHIELDWIRE853±43

And here was me, thinking the ERTRO spec was a standard, with all manufacturers following the same values :sad:

Why are Kenda different to Schwalbe?

Schwalbe (from the link I gave above)
42-62228 x 1.60700 x 40C
44-62228 x 1.625700 x 42C

OP
OP
M

Milena

Won't the knobbly tires that are the GT 365 be pretty slow on tarmac in comparison to my current Kenda's?
I have to say though, that the Kenda's don't feel safe, aka slippage, on gravel + wet conditions in general.

Also what is the puncture rating (the one that Schwalbe use) of the GT 365? It seems they are discontinued and are replaced by 365. Note the missing GT in the new tires.
This review says the GT 365's are very slippery when wet, which is the weather the majority of the time here in the UK - https://radnut.com/product-review-schwalbe-marathon-gt-365-road-tyre-dualguard/
so surely these are not good tires for the UK?

Also now that we are dropping into sub zero temperatures, and soon there will be grit and possibly oil on the roads from cars, should I not buy a studded set of tires? Can studded be used on gravel etc? I am NOT commuting. I ride my bike for fun and fitness. I try to avoid roads where possible, but can end up on roads that go for miles. I ride 3-5 times a week I'd say.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
You're right Alex: self avowed: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/accessories-for-a-carrera-crossfire-3.294611/#post-7087317
Kenda v Schwalbe: who knows, though it would make sense to call a tyre a 700-42c and the actual width be 42mm so I don't know why Schwalbe has not swung into line. I suggest ETRTO are sticking to a standard but Schwalbe are out of kilter.
See also (thank you @freiston ): https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?p=1804161&hilit=petulant#p1804161
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?p=1803378#

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Are Milena's posts requiring moderation or something?
The posts above (#23 and #26) were not visible when I was posting earlier, or when Ajax Bay was posting, but the timestamps and post numbers suggest they should have been.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Are Milena's posts requiring moderation or something?
The posts above (#23 and #26) were not visible when I was posting earlier, or when Ajax Bay was posting, but the timestamps and post numbers suggest they should have been.

Yes. It's annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom