Upgrade tire, what is the correct tire width?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

18?! I'm lucky if I'm able to average 10. I'll be much slower with these gt's right? I'm averaging around 8. So I'll probably be like 6 with the gt's? 😂

I doubt it will make much difference in the real world, it's not as if your existing tyres are super-light road ones. My guess would be the weight of the new ones won't be that different. I don't know what model of tyres you have now but unless a bike is an out and out road model, they tend to fit fairly chunky tyres with aggressive looking treads as that is what sells.

Tyre mass affects acceleration and feel not the speed you can maintain.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
18?! I'm lucky if I'm able to average 10. I'll be much slower with these gt's right? I'm averaging around 8. So I'll probably be like 6 with the gt's? 😂

I doubt there will be an noticeable difference, stop overthinking, get the GT’s bought before they're out of stock😂

OP
OP
M

Milena

I doubt there will be an noticeable difference, stop overthinking, get the GT’s bought before they're out of stock😂

Someone said they're be almost no difference in grip for off road use with the gt 365. What about road use?
And then what benefit will the gt's offer me other than potentially improved puncture protection over my current tires?

Some research shows me, my tire is a kenda k-935. It has 'k-shield'. No mention of thickness of protection:

https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/tire-tech/casing-technology/
K-SHIELD (KS)
KENDA'S FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE - SINCE 1995
A layer of light, flexible rubber containing aramid and ceramic particles inside the tire under the tread area only. Designed to prevent punctures and increase tire life.

The next level up provides:
K-SHIELD PLUS (KS+)
We increased the thickness of the K-Shield to 5 mm to create the best balance of flat proof and maintaining great ride quality. For anyone looking to go that extra mile.

The gt's have:

DualGuard: The DualGuard puncture protection technology combines two protection layer principles under the tread. Two layers of nylon carcass and 2.5mm flexible special India rubber offers protection of the highest level.
https://www.wiggle.com/p/schwalbe-marathon-gt-365-peformance-tyre

This image of them show the protection isn't all that thick? And only 2.5mm thick protection?
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Schwalbe-Marathon-GT-365-FourSeason-DualGuard-28-Tyre_236463.htm

So. Do the gt's offer much better protection against punctures than the ones I have?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have a Carrera Crossfire 3. I am constantly getting punctures on the rear tire.
I want to replace the rear tire with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus to reduce punctures. Which width should I get of that tire? My current stock ones are 700 x 42c. I cannot find a marathon plus in that exact size.
Also I ride gravel, with the occasional stretch of muddy grass, and asphalt. Will the Marathon Plus be ideal for those terrains?
All right: you win. Buy the M+ in 38mm. No pneumatic bicycle tyre has greater puncture protection. It really doesn't matter that it weighs a kilogram. It's grip won't be "ideal" for gravel/muddy grass but it will be ideal for tarmac.
"once up to speed it rolled along surprisingly well"
I have ridden 900km in 5 days with an M+ on the back. It was a bar steward to get on and so high I had to ditch my mudguard. In Kirkwall it looked as if it was brand new. A ferry to Aberdeen and a flight to London and I had it off in a flash (at home) and sold it as 'nearly new'.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I want to replace the rear tire with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus to reduce punctures.
My current Kenda tires have got puncture protection, but clearly it is useless. I am getting punctures very often.
OP:
what benefit will the GT365s offer me other than potentially improved puncture protection over my current tires?
None. Ride on on the Kenda tyres. Are you repairing your own punctures "very often"? I thought you had bought neither levers nor a puncture outfit. Have you measured the clearance on your frame, as I suggested in Post #2 bitd? Will a 45-622 fit?

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran

At slow speeds, they will make less difference, even as a percentage.

OP
OP
M

Milena

OP:

None. Ride on on the Kenda tyres. Are you repairing your own punctures "very often"? I thought you had bought neither levers nor a puncture outfit.

Just got both tire levers and puncture repair kit through the post.

Waiting to get bike cleaning kit (muc off) so I can wash the bike before completing the puncture repairs.

How do you know that the gt's don't have puncture protection better enough that it warrants buying them at the price of £12.50 each? (including delivery).
Please explain how and state any sources.

Thanks

Attachments

• 17014658071647576644782438461620.jpg
    17014658071647576644782438461620.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
M

Milena

You asked what additional benefits. Why not go away and read what the manufacturers have to say, and compare side by side? I find my GT 365s very good this time of year, I know nothing about your Kendas.

I provided links. That's all the info on the
You asked what additional benefits. Why not go away and read what the manufacturers have to say, and compare side by side? I find my GT 365s very good this time of year, I know nothing about your Kendas.

I don't know the exact model name of my tire as it seems to be made specifically for halford's by kenda.

The k-935 LOOKS exactly the same. But there's no protection thickness information from what I see.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Your not going to get a marathon in the same 42mm size, going a few mm smaller will be fine.
I would go for the Schwalbe Marathon GT365, 700c x 38mm.
They’re a steal at £9.99 each from Ribble.
A bit more grip than the marathon plus.
Please be aware that Ribble are sometimes a bit slow to deliver, my last order took 9 days;

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/p/SCOETYRR100000000000/gt-365-performance-lone-race-guard

View attachment 714799

There's no 38mm? Only 35mm? No option to change width size. On ribble. Surely going from a 42 to a 35 would be less comfortable and less grips off road, aka gravel, mud?

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Someone said they're be almost no difference in grip for off road use with the gt 365. What about road use?
And then what benefit will the gt's offer me other than potentially improved puncture protection over my current tires?
Not much, but then better puncture protection is what you were asking for initially.
So. Do the gt's offer much better protection against punctures than the ones I have?

Almost certainly. Everybody in the thread who has ridden them says they have not had many punctures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom